Do you think we're born atheist?

A lot of ppl said on another question that you're not born Christian. So if you grew up without ever hearing of any religions, would you always be atheist?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:41 AM on Jun. 4, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• My dad used to go to church and he was a christian, but some things happened and now he is an atheist. so now I don't think you are born any religion. You grow up and decide for yourself. and later on you may change your mind again.

Me, I was born confused. i am still confused and consider myself an agnostic.
    2wndrfl_btrflys

Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 11:43 AM on Jun. 4, 2009

• Yes, I do. I think I was born agnostic, I was questioning my religion when I was ten years old :P
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 11:43 AM on Jun. 4, 2009

• ZOMG 2wndrfl_btrflys *high five*
    caitxrawks

• O.K. we are all born with a nature prone to sin. Ever notice you don't have to teach a toddler to misbehave? However, I believe we are also born with a tendency to seek a higher power. Most societies have some sort of gods. Some people when they are disappointed with religion, with religious people, or God himself, choose not to believe. Others may feel that reason and logic cause them not to believe, but ultimately it comes to a choice.

teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 11:51 AM on Jun. 4, 2009

• yes we are all born free. It's the influences around us that "convince" us in things to believe.
    I am an atheist.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 11:55 AM on Jun. 4, 2009

• No
    MaryJane849

Answer by MaryJane849 at 11:55 AM on Jun. 4, 2009

• Answered at 11:55 AM on Jun. 4, 2009 by: sahmamax2
    yes we are all born free. It's the influences around us that "convince" us in things to believe.
    I am an atheist.

I agree with this!
    my2.5boys

Answer by my2.5boys at 11:56 AM on Jun. 4, 2009

• More like an agnostic. If you are born to Muslim parents in Azerbaijan, you aren't going to just pop out a Christian, any more than the newborn son of some Alabama Southern Baptists will be a Taoist on day one. You only have a religion because someone teaches it to you. But, it's entirely possible you can have that nagging feeling from an early age that something is missing, and not have a clue what it is until you are an adult and have a reasoned mind that can figure it out for yourself. And, that can happen whether you are raised with no religion or simply one that doesn't work for you.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 12:07 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• I think you can be born with a tendency towards atheism or being religious.......but you can't be born a SPECIFIC religion. You couldn't know the stories and names of profits and stuff.
    metalcowgirl34

Answer by metalcowgirl34 at 12:10 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• When we are born, our spirits are dead. They remain so until such time as they are regenerated by the Holy Spirit of God. True Christianity is not a religion. It is a totally different way of life. The reason that is true is because our dead spirits come alive in Jesus Christ. He then lives in us and through us. We still have our old sinful nature with which we were born, but we also have the new life of Christ living in us. The rest of our lives is spent in learning how to submit more and more to His control and allowing more and more of our own sinful selves to die. It's a wonderful life, and it only begins with believing on the Lord Jesus Christ's death, burial and resurrection. The saddest thing of all this is that you can't know Him and His power in your life until after you have believed on Him. So it truly is an act of faith. I would not trade my life with Him for anything. It is truly a way of life for me.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 12:14 PM on Jun. 4, 2009