Can they put me in jail for a $25 fine???? (this isn't fun...)

I have to appear before city council today and appeal my fine (ridiculous as it sounds, I got fined for posting a yard sale sign on the corner). Well I only made $6 at my yard sale, and got a fine for $25. I don't live in the town that I got fined; I had the yard sale at my mom's house in a different town, so I don't know the stupid ordinances there. We have enough money to pay rent and electricity and nothing else. Our electricity is actually overdue and is going to get cut off in 2 days if I don't pay it, and we'll get evicted if I don't pay rent by tomorrow.
So since I can't afford their stupid fine, can they put me in jail for $25???

srhmldndo

Asked by srhmldndo at 11:48 AM on Jun. 4, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Dont know where your from, but here they let your fines get pretty steep before they put a warrant out for you...so youve got time...im with everyone..try to explain if not..tell em youll pay as you can...
    sweetstkissez22

Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 12:29 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• I would just tell then you need a payment plan I owed over $300 in tickets ...speed...seat belt ..licence plate light out etc etc and they let me pay $25 a month

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:51 AM on Jun. 4, 2009

• I would just explain your situation to the judge and tell him you had not idea that it was illegal to put up yard sale signs. (sounds stupid to me). Just explain that you were just trying to make some money to live off of and you were unaware of the rules and regulations of posting yard sale signs. Maybe he will drop the charge. (IDK) but explain the situation with $ and maybe he will be lenient with you. Good luck
    2wndrfl_btrflys

Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 11:52 AM on Jun. 4, 2009

• They can... will they? I don't know. I'm with the others. Explain the situation, ask for a payment plan, hope for the best.
    Debbie062008

Answer by Debbie062008 at 12:00 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• Wouldn't they laugh at me for asking for a payment plan for a $25 fine? I know it's not a lot, but we seriously cannot afford even that.
    srhmldndo

Answer by srhmldndo at 12:11 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• ya they can
    but they probably wont
    sometimes judges will give you til a deadline to pay your fines and if you explain your self they may work with you for the 25 dollars lol
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 12:17 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• No they can't. Well I guess I should say they won't. Honestly is always the best policy. Explain your financial situation to them and tell them you weren't the resident you didn't know the ordinance and beg them for mercy. I'm fairly certain they will cut you some slack considering the economic climate we all live in now. Trust me just about everyone has bigger fish to fry instead of putting you in jail for a yard sale sign.
    mars33me

Answer by mars33me at 12:27 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• Bring your proof of income, your last bank statement, and a copy of your recent due bills.
    Explain to the judge your income dilemna and ask for an extension on paying the fine.
    He may even excuse it altogether if you have a good attitude and since it's your first offense.
    Best wishes.
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 1:45 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• Yes but I highly doubt they would. Can you ask for something called a "stay and pay"? I think it is for people who cannot afford court costs and fines. I would look into that.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 1:46 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• Another thought.....
    Perhaps they would allow you to do one day's work of community service in exchange for the meager amount you owe.
    If you offer it up then it looks like you aren't trying to get out of something for free, but are trying to make good on your fine even though you don't have the money to pay it.
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 3:41 PM on Jun. 4, 2009