Entertaining a 16mo old girl all day long. I'm running out of ideas--HELP!

I'm a stay at home mom, and keeping my 16mo old busy is getting harder all the
time. She has plenty of toys to play with, we read several times a day, we go for walks 2x a day and occasionally watch Sesame Street and an Elmo video. I need some new ideas. Can anybody help?

erinetsuko

Asked by erinetsuko at 11:50 AM on Jun. 4, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I'm going to get my 1 yr old one of those kiddie pools and put it on my beck deck. Think I might add a slide.
    Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 11:52 AM on Jun. 4, 2009

• Crayons and coloring book, you dont have to keep her busy all day everyday, she will learn to entertain herself, that is a good thing. Not because we dont want to be bothered but it is part of their development, exploring their world, discovery.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 11:54 AM on Jun. 4, 2009

• Yeah ..I saw these "ball like" crayons with different characters on them..it suppose to make it easier for them to use. from crayola
    Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 12:00 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• My son is two and I started letting him draw with crayons at 1 and now he knows how to hold it properly, I love watching him scribble, it never gets old. But you should really let your daughter go at it with a crayon and a big piece of paper because they go off the paper! LOL Or try getting plain yogurt and food coloring and letting her finger paint with colored yogurt. The reason you use yogurt is because they put it in their mouth and you don't want her eating paint. My son loved this at 1 now he uses normal finger paint. Try it and let her have fun.
    VasquezFamily

Answer by VasquezFamily at 12:02 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• You are doing good and just enough...maybe also give her alone time, where you are doing other things in the house and she plays by herself. It will be benificial for her to learn how to occupy herself instead of constant entertainment from you. Especially later on in school when she won't have one on one time and constant activity. She will have to work on a paper by herself.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 12:03 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• Give her some time to play by herself. You don't need to be playing with her every second.\
    It sounds like you are doing enough.
    BSFreeMama

Answer by BSFreeMama at 1:01 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• You should like everyone is saying give her alone time to play. Get some puzzles with big pieces or block that link. They like the challenge. Just sit back and watch her. My son is 2 and plays for at least 2 hours on his own and we have read time and outside time and he has even got to where he like to sit on his potty and look at a book by hisself.
    77mommie

Answer by 77mommie at 1:18 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• I try to get out and do something each day whether it's running an errand or simply walking around the mall. It gives us both a change of scenery and my son is fascinated by what he sees. I agree with the others as well that giving them time to amuse themselves is also good. My son loves to put things in and out so a plastic container and a few blocks will keep him busy for a while.
    Anonymous

• Time to pay alone is a great idea. My daughter is 17 months and entertains herself for up to two hours a day in the living room. Im still around and she can see that I am moving from room to room doing house work and what not. She loves "her" time. As for more stuff to do, we got a kiddie pool and a Kangaroo Climber and tons of outside toys. She really loves her outside time!
    Love2BMommy77

Answer by Love2BMommy77 at 2:12 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• Go to parks, go to zoos, go to museums, go to libraries (you can read books, check out books, most libraries have story hours), go to farmers markets, go to neighborhood and ethnic festivals, check your local paper for kids events.

Answer by rkoloms at 3:17 PM on Jun. 5, 2009