Have you ever had a pain or hurtful experience that was good for you?

Sometimes through our experiences we gain something that enables us to help or comfort others. I have experienced this through having had melanoma cancer and also through the miscarriages that I had. I was able to identify with others and even grow in character personally. Does anyone else have a similar example that you would like to share?

minasmama6

Asked by minasmama6 at 11:54 AM on Jun. 4, 2009 in Relationships

• yes mam....i have to go back to the doctors i might have cancer and well my man has a brain tumor but as a couple unfortunetly this bad reason caused us to actually become closer...ya know both goin through health issues its really made us connect and be able to really understand eachother on a level no one else can understand. and also it helped me realize hey you not as untouchable as you think and it makes you wanna eat better/healthier..it makes u wanna live life to the fullest and all the lil things jus seem foolish such as arguements and stuff like that. it helps your grow to be a better person and fast. and i think knowing that something is horribly wrong it makes u more patient and more loving to others...i mean i dont know how extreme mine and my boyfriends situation is but all i know is days are numbered and i wanna make the best of it.
    kuuipo317

Answer by kuuipo317 at 12:03 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• I have, several things that have made me stronger and I feel a better person and also be able to give people advice on. I was basically abandoned as a baby by both my parents, abused by family members as a young child, being a teenage mom, being a wife and having struggles in your marriage and miscarriage. It sounds like my life would be a mess but honestly I have learned so much about myself and how strong I really am. I would never want my kids or anyone else to give up on their lives because of obstacles, I've always told myself I need to look forward and move on from the past.
    LuvmyFam6

Answer by LuvmyFam6 at 12:13 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• I went through an abusive marriage and counsel women now. I'm not happy I went through it but am happy good comes from the experience if I can help others figure out what's right for them and let them know they are not alone.

Then there's that divorce thing. That's something I can identify with and help on that level.

Then there is that rape thing back in college......So yes. I have had plenty of negative experiences in my life and even though none of them were pleasant, I can still give moral support to others bc I've been there and know the pain.

Answer by admckenzie at 12:13 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• Obviously, the painful experiences have not made you give up on life or become so bitter that you can't reach out to others. That is amazing and also a testimony of your personal strengths. Cancer, rape, abandonment, divoroce or none of those horrible experiences should ultimately defeat us or steal our joy. We've survived and grown stronger from having made it through. I agree that life is to be lived to the fullest and that moving on from a difficult past is the best way to move forward and overcome the obstacles we face. It's not always easy, but the other options are no better in the long run. I've found that giving to others has been very healing in my own life.
    minasmama6

Answer by minasmama6 at 6:18 PM on Jun. 5, 2009