IS LABOR NEAR?

THE MIDWIFE FELT THE BABY'S HEAD DURING AN EXAM, I'M 37 WEEKS, IS LABOR NEAR?
DOES THIS MEAN LABOR IS NEAR? I HAVE NOT DIALATED YET AND MY CERVIX IS STILL CLOSED. I'M FEELING PAINS AND PRESSURE DOWN THERE. ANY ADVICE OR INSIGHT IS APPRECIATED.

junemommy1977

Asked by junemommy1977 at 11:56 AM on Jun. 4, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Not necessarily, it just means your baby is getting ready. it could still be another 3 weeks or more. The pain and pressure is normal since the babies head is settling into the pelvis. It will stay their until you deliver. Uncomfortable I know but still. If the midwife tells you that it is okay, you can walk to induce labor.
    2wndrfl_btrflys

Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 12:00 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• Patience, my young anxious one! Patience. The baby will be here soon enough. I know it's gets frustrating toward the end but the little one is settling in for it's journey into the world. It might take some time so just make ready the home, stock up on groceries, get all the housework done and get as much rest as you can. Your true work is about to begin.

Answer by admckenzie at 12:08 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• Not necessarily. That just means the baby is getting ready. Since your baby was so low you could begin to dialate and efface over the next couple of weeks but even that doesn't mean labor is imminant.

You can walk around with your baby at a +1 station, 80% effaced and dialated to 4 cm for weeks.

Things things simply mean your body is getting ready for labor.
    Anonymous

• no it doesnt mean labor is near . they felt my babies head for about a month and a half before i had her
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 12:14 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• I'm 40 weeks and 4 days pregnant and really hoping labor is soon, ahhhh I'm so uncomfortable.

Our bodies will have these babies when they're ready....the exams really don't mean much...things can change in an instant.
    GreekMama28

Answer by GreekMama28 at 12:47 PM on Jun. 4, 2009