How do you organize your kids' toys?

How do you organize your kids toys (clothes and other things too) so that the stuff doesn't take over your house? Any ideas will be appreciated! Thanks.

Paulah76

Asked by Paulah76 at 12:02 PM on Jun. 4, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I use old diaper boxes, I don't like my kids going up and down the stairs so I leave toys downstairs but they make a mess so I put them away in old diaper boxes. Up stairs their toys are in a toy box and their clothing is either hung up or in their drawers(hope that is spelled right) If their toys start to take over I tell them to stop what they're doing and put all the toys away in the box, and they listen.
    VasquezFamily

Answer by VasquezFamily at 12:08 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• well w/ my son we had 'living room toys' (for when it was late and almost time for bed and he needed to be in the living room w/me...etc) and those were in a small cute container ... than in his room he had a toy box w/ matchbox cars,ramps,etc...than a 2nd toy box w/ other 'random' toys...his 'outside type' toys were in the hallway closet ... clothes are hung up or in drawers ...
    tha-hawt-mommie

Answer by tha-hawt-mommie at 12:13 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• I keep rubbermaid in business...i use those big tubs for everything...storage or toys..clothes...EVERYTHING...and my new found friend are the space saver bags THEY WORK and theyre not that expensive...it helps use space that you normally wouldnt think of...under beds..bottom of closet stays neat..top shelf in a closet
    sweetstkissez22

Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 12:22 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• Clothes - clothes that I bought big for next season and out of season clothes are in an under the bed rubbermaid box, all shorts and t-shirts and underwear/socks and pajamas in dresser, Pants and button down shirts in closet

Toys - stuffed animals on chain, most toys in a big rubbermaid bin, cars and small figures in small rubbermaid containers and baskets
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:32 AM on Jun. 5, 2009

• clothes for the opposite seaons are in a box in my daughters closet, n the top shelf.and all her toy are in a big rubermaid thingy in the living room corner
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 3:24 AM on Jun. 5, 2009

• Each child has a very large rubbermaid bin (no lid) with all the toys in it. (I think this is better than a wooden toy box b/c I was always afraid they'd fall and smack their face on the wood, which is harder than the plastic) Makes clean up a snap too. They just toss everything in one bin, which is overflowing. And then every few months we turn everything upside down so the toys on the bottom are now on the top and it's like they got new toys because the stuff on the bottom was forgotten about for the past few months :) lol Stuffed animals are in their own pile in the corner (my kids like to cuddle up in the pile on top of all the animals and read or nap). We don't have a downstairs toy pile. If they bring toys down, they just have to go up with them at bed time. Sometimes we use laundry baskets to carry the toys back upstairs together. Books are on a shelf. Clothes are mostly in the drawers (small closets).
    janey548

Answer by janey548 at 1:12 AM on Jun. 6, 2009

• We have one of those things that has all the buckets in it. All of my daughter's smaller toys go in those. One is for plastic animals, one for cars, one for her play dishes, ect. Then she has a medium sized toy box for all her stuffed animals and smaller toy box that came with her bed for her dress up stuff. And a closing bookshelf for her books. For her clothes it's just a 4 drawer dresser. 1 drawer for panties, socks, gloves, tights, and belts, one for shirts, one for pants, and the last one for jammies. Any dresses, skirts, and jackets get hung in the closet. I try to get her to pick up whatever she's not playing with a few times a day, then the last 30 minutes before bedtime is clean up time. She has to find and put away all of her toys that are out of her room and clean up whatever is out in her bedroom.
    DixieRoadrash

Answer by DixieRoadrash at 5:45 AM on Jun. 6, 2009

• We use bins also. Color coded helps her remember. Usually around the holidays they will have the colored ones out. We use pink for barbies, red for coloring books, markers, crayons etc, clear for popular toys that get used a lot etc. This helps at clean up time too!
    mwilkinson757

Answer by mwilkinson757 at 7:50 AM on Jun. 7, 2009