Should she know more?

my daughter is turning 4 in july and can spell all of her AT words.... cat, hat, mat... etc. she will also write anything else if you tell her how to spell it. Anyways she's going into vpk this august as the youngest one there... so is she up to par? lol. Is she supposed to know more?? Just wondering... :)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:13 PM on Jun. 4, 2009 in General Parenting

• My kids didn't learn that stuff until they were in Kindergarten. My middle daughter just graduated today and can spell the AT words (I taught her over the year) and can now say her ABCs and write them but can't read yet. She's 6 1/2. She starts 1st grade in the fall.

All my kids knew when they started preschool was how to spell and write their names (my son never even went to preschool, he started kindergarten a month before turning 6 and that was the first time he ever went to school, he's going into 2nd grade now).
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 12:27 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• my daughter will JUST be turning 5 when she starts kindergarten because her birthday falls right before the cut off date... so she will be one of the youngest, if not the youngest, kid in all of her classes...
    Anonymous

• I think she knows more than she should at barely 4 years old. Don't push her and don't expect her to keep up with everyone else if she has troubles. Personally, I'd just hold her back a year and let her start with kids more her age...but that's me.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 1:04 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• She is ahead of the curve actually. Many curriculum don't start actual spelling words until first grade. Kindergarten will focus on letter sounds, writing letters and blending letters to make words. She may start reading smaller words, simple words while in Kindergarten. I am not saying this is the case with you, and no offense meant, but in my experience, children that are academically ahead are often behind socially and their "public etiquette" lacks. I would take this time to enforce social rules, like not touching others constantly, not interrupting others, and discuss private talk and public talk. Things that are okay to talk about in private, but that you wouldn't talk about in public. Academically, your daughter is doing great!
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 1:09 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• She doesn't need to know how to spell at age 4. She should know her alphabet and the sounds each letter makes, write her name correctly (Susy), her shapes, colors, numbers. She will learn how to spell in Kindergarten and 1st grade. She should be able to share and be ok without a parent around. She is ahead of what she needs to be. Ease up and let her be a 4 year old.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 2:18 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• my daughter is 5 and cant spell a thing, except for her name and MOM..i go over it with her every single day..shes been in preschool for the past 2 years..she doesnt care!!! she doesnt wanna learn, shes impossible to teach!! drives me bonkers!! kindergarten is gonna have their hands full in september..lol
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 5:54 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• ooh..she does know her alphabt and all the sounds though, and numbers 1-20, and shapes and colours..its just the reading part she refuses to do, and she CAN write the letters..when she wants to..
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 5:56 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• I"m not going to hold her back... i wouldn't do that to her... she is fine socially as well also. Thanks for the advice...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:04 AM on Jun. 5, 2009