Should she know more?

my daughter is turning 4 in july and can spell all of her AT words.... cat, hat, mat... etc. she will also write anything else if you tell her how to spell it. Anyways she's going into vpk this august as the youngest one there... so is she up to par? lol. Is she supposed to know more?? Just wondering... :)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:13 PM on Jun. 4, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• to get into head start/pre-k/etc here , u had to : be potty trained,know and spell FULL name,know your parents names,address,phone number,read 1 book (they have a list of books),spell and know a list of words...things like that ...
    tha-hawt-mommie

Answer by tha-hawt-mommie at 12:15 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• My son will be 4 in Aug. He doesnt know is ABC's yet. He can count to 15. He really cant hhold the crayon good yet either. So yeah, I think your little one is right on time!
    forevermom75

Answer by forevermom75 at 12:16 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• she does everything on that list except reading a book. They haven't mentioned that to me yet tho? Thanks! :)
    Anonymous

• You know I'm not really sure my daughter is 4 1/2 and does much of the same I was looking around on the internet to see if she was behind on what she should know at this age and I found some crazy stuff like she should be reading 36 words already! Maybe try to talk to the teacher in advance and see if you need to work on anything before she starts... I think she's fine and may know more than alot of 4 year olds.
    mizsaxton

Answer by mizsaxton at 12:17 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

---
    after reading the other womans post : he also had to know the abc's and count to either 20 or 100 ... cant remember lol ... the books are easssy! its those little books w / like 6 pages and the words are printed big ... the one we used was from wal-mart and it said "Stage 1" on the corner , thats how i knew what ones to get
    tha-hawt-mommie

Answer by tha-hawt-mommie at 12:18 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• huh? that's cool! i'll have to get her some of those books. Yeah she can count to 100 fairly easily.. might miss a few. And knows all of her alphebets. :)
    Anonymous

• Call the school and ask them what they would like her to know before school starts. Every school has different requirements. Some don't even require a child be potty trained! Once you get the list for YOUR school, you may be surprised to find very little "academic" things on the list. The list may very well have things like zipping up her own coat, taking care of all of her own bathroom needs - washing hands, working clothes, wiping.
    Preschoolers learn "academic" things at vastly different rates. The schools know that some kids will arrive knowing their ABC's, some won't, some may be reading, some won't, some will know how to count to 100, some only to 10, some not at all. Colors, shapes, and everything else will vary just as greatly. The school knows that THEY will be teaching these things. But teaching goes much more smoothly when the kids can care for themselves.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:24 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

---
    yea i have chicken little and cars -- and in the corner it says "stage 1 readers" the words are short,printed big,and the book is short!...and if she mixes #'s up dont worry! my son ARGUED w/ me that 20 came BEFORE 19!!! for a little over a year , he refused to say it right...lol so when he went to pre-k ... he said his #'s and they told him he did great , but they will show him that it DOES COME AFTER lol ... little things like that wont keep them out!! the potty training is more what their worried about , bc their there to teach them #'s and letters and such not potty training,ya kno?--my ex's grlfriends daughter is 8 and never been in kindergarten bc she refused to potty train-said its 'easier to just change her'-as w/ a friend of mine,2 kids,5&6 still in diapers
    tha-hawt-mommie

Answer by tha-hawt-mommie at 12:27 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• my ex's grlfriends daughter is 8 and never been in kindergarten bc she refused to potty train-said its 'easier to just change her'-as w/ a friend of mine,2 kids,5&6 still in diapers

She's 8!!!! Wouldn't the state have said something by now! THATS crazy!!!
    Anonymous

• She's 8!!!! Wouldn't the state have said something by now! THATS crazy!!!
    ---
    well i havent seen them since she was 6 -- but so far when i would be out at the store during school hours,id see her w/ her granpap at the store,walmart,everywhere! ... the last time i seen her out was around 10am so thats school hours too , so honestly idk what to say
    tha-hawt-mommie

Answer by tha-hawt-mommie at 12:33 PM on Jun. 4, 2009