How do you prevent car sickness in toddlers?

We are heading to the mountains next this weekend. We have been on 2 other trips where we either went to or drove through mountains. Each time coming down out of the mountains he has gotten sick and thrown up all over himself and the car seat. He's 2 1/2 and he's totally fine going up the mountains it's coming down that seems to be the issue. I would really like to be prepared this time and hopefully prevent this from happening. Thanks!

kittykat1919

Asked by kittykat1919 at 12:16 PM on Jun. 4, 2009 in Travel

• You can also try ginger tea or chamomile tea

Answer by rkoloms at 6:16 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• Do you have him sitting in the middle of the back seat so he can see through the windshield? If he can see out the windshield then he can focus on an object far away that won;t be flying past him and make him sick (at least that is what helps my friend with her daughter)
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 12:18 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• go to walmart or a boat store. They make these sweat band type things that go on your wrist. There is a platic ball on the inside that goes on the inside of your wrist where your pulse is. It keeps you from feeling sick and woozy. I wore then when I was prego for morning sickness and they worked great. My hubby wears then when he goes fishing too. They are non-toxic so kids can use them. It's not medicated or anything.
    forevermom75

Answer by forevermom75 at 12:20 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• His belly cannot handle the hills. You know that feeling in your stomach when you go down a hill? The feeling like butterflies all of a sudden started fluttering and trying to escape and sometimes makes you a tiny bit nervous??? that is what he is doing but instead he is vomiting. I just wouldn't take him anymore unless you plan on not feeding him the entire time you are gone. There is really nothing you can do to prevent that from happening except not taking him.
    2wndrfl_btrflys

Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 12:20 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• I suggest you try what FOREVERMOM... suggested. I used those preassure point bracelets when I was miserable and pregnant. At the time I worked in criminal law firm that was 30 minutes away, so for the drive I definetly needed some sort of relief. Since the Phenegran Rx I was given made me want to pass out I could not take it while driving. They make them in cute colors with figures on them to. I think Mason wouldnt mind those preassure bracelets at all, PLUS they are completely natural.
    Supervane

Answer by Supervane at 1:56 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• Ask the pediatrician first, but my doctor told me to give them a very small dose of Children's Benadryl before leaving home. It worked for us. But don't do it unless talking to your doc first.
    lighthousemom3

Answer by lighthousemom3 at 10:07 AM on Jun. 5, 2009

• My doctor told me to give children's benadryl 1/2 hour before we leave. My daughter is 3 and gets car sick on long rides.
    mommytobrooke

Answer by mommytobrooke at 10:51 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• childrens dramamine!
    michaux

Answer by michaux at 3:51 PM on Jun. 6, 2009