How can i get my three year old daughters to want to go potty more and tell me when they have to go?

I realized it was time for potty training when they had figured out how to take off their diapers.

MrsMandie89

Asked by MrsMandie89 at 12:19 PM on Jun. 4, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• You will probably have to schedule potty times throughout the day. This will get them used to peeing at certain times and reduce the number of accidents. Accidents at this age are very normal. If you keep the potty times consistent every day it will help immensely. I noticed my daughter NEVER has an accident at preschool and they have potty times throughout the day at the same time every day. When I do this at home it works as well. It is mostly just getting the ritual ingrained, but you can set a timer to help yourself get the potty times established. Good luck!
    oregonmom22

Answer by oregonmom22 at 1:34 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• I agree with oregonmom - have scheuled "potty times". It's very common for kids to get so busy playing or doing something that they ignore the need to go until it's too late. Make sure she tries when she gets up, about every 2 hours, just before you leave the house, and just before bed. Don't rely on her to tell you she has to go, don't rely on her answering honestly if you ask, and don't rely on her just going all by herself. Make sure she tries at fairly set times and keep an eye on her for "dancing".
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 3:55 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• i agree with the schedule. I just got my GD who is gonna be 4 in august potty trained, but she still has accidents when playing sometimes. not a lot. But i thought we would never get it done. ha. I have a funny story now to tell. When we were out doing some errands a few weeks ago, she said I have to potty, I said well can you hold it till we get to a place with a bathroom. Please dont go in your panties,as I did not bring extra, dumb on my part. ha but anyways after that day I started noticing her "holding" herself with her hands, and I said hun dont do that, why are you putting your hands down there like that, she said I am holding it until I can get to the bathroom. I then had to explain the concept of holding it with out actually holding it.
    strtngovrmom

Answer by strtngovrmom at 7:55 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• Both my son and daughter were not potty trained til they were 3 years old. My son was peer pressured...lol In his preschool class in church, the kids made fun cause he was still in diapers. He decided to start going in the potty, and that was it. No accidents. My daughter was another subject. She just didn't want too. I tried at 2 yrs. old, it was very frustrating, so I would wait a few more months and try again. She finally got it. She was harder than my son. Oh and she kept wanting to stand up to pee like her big brother....LOL (they are 4 1/2 years apart) but my kids are grown now.
    sacdp29

Answer by sacdp29 at 9:13 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• I recently just got my two going on three year old potty trained by buying her "big girl panties" and telling her pull ups were for babies...lol...I tell her everyday that big girls tell their mommys when they have to use the bathroom and don't wet there panties. I usually take her after she finishes drinking and playing really hard. I hope this helps.
    babyk2006

Answer by babyk2006 at 12:59 AM on Jun. 5, 2009