What's the minimum wage for waitresses now that minimum wage has went up?

I heard it was 2 dollars and some odd cents, but someone I know works in a small cafe, and the tips are all thrown in a bucket and divided between ALL the workers, even the cooks. The tips are just a few dollars. It's not like a bigger restraunt where they get big tips. What % of your tips can they count for minimum wage? This person makes $6 an hour, and minimum wage is 6.55 now. Her boss is counting her tips toward the minimum wage, but she brings in anywhere from $3 to $10 in tips. Mostly just a few dollars and on the weekend she might make around $10, if that. So, what % can they use for that? I heard 31%, but I'm not sure. Is that wrong of her boss or not?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:25 PM on Jun. 4, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I do know that a waitress makes less than minimum wage. And her boss can count her tips as part of her wage. But if her tips and wage per hour don't equal out to the state minimum wage then her boss pays the state minimum wage per hour. I hope this helps
    Anonymous

• Here, in PA. The min wage is $7.35 an hour. But the server wage is only $2.83 an hour. It didn't go up with this last hike!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:33 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• In Ca it's $8.50 but federal is $5 or $6 so if the company doesn't want to pay the state minimum wage then they have to pay at least the federal minimum wage. She could always go to her boss and talk to him about the tips and her wages. It doesn't hurt to talk and get things resolved, if not have her look for another job where things are up front about the pay and tips.
    Anonymous

• I wonder if this site would be of any help. They have a link that allows you to ask them questions.

http://www.dol.gov/esa/minwage/america.htm

Just copy and paste into your browser window.
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 1:40 PM on Jun. 4, 2009