How do you do it?

I think this is the best place to ask this but...

How do you SAHM's do it?
How do you budget around one income?

Me and myDH both work and we barely make ends meet... So how do you ladies survive in this economy?

raehope

Asked by raehope at 12:39 PM on Jun. 4, 2009 in Money & Work

• My SO owns his own business so that helps a lot. I want to start doing something while im at home though for a job but havent found my "niche" yet
    tjandjenna

Answer by tjandjenna at 12:40 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• People were shocked on what me and my SO made it on...no one else has been able to do it...we dont do too much...we have to make fun out of SMALL things...but we manage..we dont have alot of bills tho..its actually cheeper for me to NOT WORK! childcare is higher than two months rent around here..its rediculous...so he understood when i told him i couldnt AFFORD to go back to work!!
    sweetstkissez22

Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 12:42 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• If you want information on a 'at home' job, PM me or check out my profile.
    customcat2000

Answer by customcat2000 at 12:49 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• We just do! I told him when I was pregnant that I wanted to be a SAHM mainly because I did not want someone else to have such a large (8-10 hours, 5 days a week) amount of influence on my child. I want to be the largest influence on my son especially these first few years. I found out about GPT's and have been making a little extra money on those. SO brings in less than 18 grand a year at work but he makes extra with side work. We always manage to get the things we want, after first getting whatever our son needs above all. We just keep it simple, enjoy the simple things in life. They are great if you pay attention! I can understand wanting more and being used to a certain lifestyle and wanting to maintain that lifestyle too though.
    truthteller0722

Answer by truthteller0722 at 12:55 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• Cut 99% of the unnecessary items. Like cable, *internet, eating out, new clothes (buy used), junk food, toys, movies, books etc.

We budget $5 a month for entertainment. We use coupons to get some items for free. We also use freecycle, and 2nd hand stores.

Also we don't have any CC debt. We do have student loans :( but we're trying to pay them off as quickly as possible. Not having consumer debt makes it easier to be a one income family.

*Internet might save people money. Like printing coupons, comparing ads, and even getting an online job. I make about $50 a month from mahalo.com. Plus I'm going to school online- so I don't have to pay for a babysitter for my DS. So you have to know what is saving you money and what isn't.
    Erica_Smerica

Answer by Erica_Smerica at 4:34 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• Past the age of 2,the only beverage humans need is water;don't buy juice,milk,soda,etc., except as a special treat.Cook from scratch.Replace meat with beans,lentils &tofu.Cook dried beans instead of buying canned.Whole grains,like whole wheat pasta &brown rice,may cost more than simple grains,like white rice &pasta,but they are more filling &more nutritious,so they really are the better value.Frozen fruits &vegetables often cost less than fresh;they have the added advantage of having a longer shelf life &holding their nutrition longer.Once or twice a week have breakfast for dinner: yogurt with frozen blueberries &whole grain cereal or an omelet with veggies &a little bit of cheese &whole grain toast.

Answer by rkoloms at 7:02 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• Cont.
    Before you go to the grocery store,plan your meals &snacks for the next 8days.Base your grocery list on your meal plan.Pull any necessary coupons.Eat before you shop.Buy only what’s on your list.The sales at the store are not to save you money,but to get you to buy more than you need;if you don't know for sure that you will use it in the next two weeks,don't buy it.If you would like some healthy &budget friendly recipes,feel free to contact me

-Robin

Answer by rkoloms at 7:03 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• Before our daughter was born, we both worked and made pretty good money. Things change when you have a family. We have shifted our wants and needs to what is really the "need" currently. Watching every penny. With this economy, everyone is pulling the reins in tight.
    I started a home business with Gold Canyon last year so this has helped.
    You are not alone. Times are tough!
    Best to you...one day at a time.
    Marianne531

Answer by Marianne531 at 8:06 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• I make some extra money taking surveys.
    I found a site that doesn't try to charge you anything
    or ask for a credit card. I have posted pictures of the payments I received, as proof.

http://thebestfreepaidsurveys.blogspot.com/
    home_teachin

Answer by home_teachin at 1:58 AM on Jun. 5, 2009

• Only God knows, thats how it is for us.
    IraqiVetWife

Answer by IraqiVetWife at 11:02 PM on Jun. 5, 2009