Low cal lunch?

Anyone have a suggestion for something interesting and filling, but low on calories? I've been doing sandwiches and yogurt, but am in the mood for something with a little zest today!

mama_moonsong

Asked by mama_moonsong at 12:42 PM on Jun. 4, 2009 in Diet & Fitness

• I was just looking for the same thing!  Well, for dinner I'm making chicken in small whole wheat pitas with (store bought) tzatziki sauce and cucumber tomato salad. I like cantaloupe and cottage cheese,  in a pinch, Gordon's frozen tilapia is pretty good and only like 60 calories. Salad with grilled chicken mandarin oranges, avocado, a few dried cranberries and a low fat raspberry vinaigrette.   If you like tofu (lots of protein!) - tofu and vegetable stir fry, just be careful what you use as dressing.   

sophiesmom07

Answer by sophiesmom07 at 1:28 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• This is what I've been doing to break up the lunch doldrums. I cut up fresh veg. (2 - 3 mushrooms, 1-2 stalks celery and spread with laughing cow cheese!! <--tastes great; 2 radishes, a small part of cucumber if I have it.) Then I add 7 almonds for protein, and 1 low fat white string cheese, a glass of veg. juice, and lastly one sugar free jello.

This might sound crazy, but this has all of your veg. servings for the day, the cheese is salty (but the veggies are not), the veg. juice is tasty and you can get hot and spicey V-8, too. The jello finishes it all off and helps me not want something sugary later.

This works perfectly for me every day and esp. helps when I've eaten out the day before and need to cut my cals for the next few days. Its fresh tasting, easy to prepare and I love it. Works for me. :)
    lifeasinoit

Answer by lifeasinoit at 7:16 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• Remember to have at least 8 8oz glasses of water a day, 7-8 servings of fruits and vegetetables in at least 3 different colors a day and 6-7 servings of whole grains a day; whole grains are loaded with fiber and protein and will fill you up!
    A bowl of brown rice with chopped veggies, grated ginger and a splash of soy sauce.
    A piece of whole grain toast with 1/2 avocado and sliced tomato (and sprinkle of sea salt if you are not sodium-sensitive)
    Cut up raw veggies (carrots, zucchini, jicama, broccoli, etc) and hummus

Answer by rkoloms at 7:27 AM on Jun. 5, 2009