Do you prefer a man or a woman pediatrician for your child(ren)?

My son has always had a male pediatrician. I don't like his current one. He was recently admitted to the ER; the triage doctor AND the PICU doctor were both female, and I absolutely loved them. I felt like they were genuine and talked to me like a person not an idiot. I'm sure it had more to do with their personalities, but I'm wondering if you have ever noticed a difference, or have a preference, in the gender of your kids' pedi?

AMsMommy212

Asked by AMsMommy212 at 12:46 PM on Jun. 4, 2009 in Kids' Health

• We've had both but I prefer the woman that they have now. I don't think it has much to do with their gender though.

As long as they do their job, and do it thouroughly, then it doesn't matter to me.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 12:49 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• I know its sexist but I have always had a preference for female doctors. I don't like going to doctors to begin with and I always find it easier to talk to a women.
    Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 12:50 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• as long as they share my views on medical care it doesn't matter to me.
    casd

Answer by casd at 12:54 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• I love male doctors for me, and my son. I hated the female ob/gyn for me. Only went her once and she was alot less personable then the male.

And for pediatricans. There are 3 in the office. 2 male 1 female. I like the two males better. They always share their experiences with me and are just real down to earth.
    amy31308

Answer by amy31308 at 12:59 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• I have boys so I chose a male ped. However, it is a large practice so we see whoever is available foe sick appts.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 1:02 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• Hmm I didn't consider that my son would probably be more comfortable with a male when he gets a little older, that is definitely something to think about, thanks ladies!

AMsMommy212

Answer by AMsMommy212 at 1:22 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• My girls go to a group of peds. I like them all but my personal favorites (I have two) are both male- they talk both to the girls and to me on the level we need. I also prefer my male ob gyn, he takes stress out because he's just funny (he reminds me of alan alda- also he delivered my 15 year old bro- my 8 year old sis- my 6 and 4 year old girls and will be delivering this one in July) The women seem a little more...I don't know... i just don't feel as at ease with them.
    LuckyClown

Answer by LuckyClown at 4:56 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• My son has had both. I loved his female ped. However she moved back to her home state. So we had to find another one here in town. This one is a male and I like him... so far I haven't had any reason not to like him. The female dr was with Asa when he was really sick and in the hospital with made our relationship with her alot closer.
    AsaGarrett

Answer by AsaGarrett at 5:19 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• I prefer peds who have children.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 8:10 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• my older two rotated between 5 doctors in a practice. I liked some (both men and women) and disliked a few. My youngest had a male pediatrcian and I loved him. He was so great with kids.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 11:28 PM on Jun. 4, 2009