Are you really listening?

I recently was talking to my son (he will be 13 Saturday) and he was going on and on about his friends, his day, his party, shows he watched, just random chat.. my mind was wandering (i am only human and can only take so much "so and so on this show were so funny.. they did...blah blah" stuff) and after about 3 minutes or so I realized I totally missed what my son was saying. Does this happen to you? It sure made me stop and think.. what if he was trying to confide something and I just blew it off?.. I try to be a good listener.. but I am guilty of doing this to alot of people.. not just my kiddo.. (bad Theresa..I know.. dont hate..) Any one else out there the same way? How does it affect your relationships?

Tzutchka

Asked by Tzutchka at 12:50 PM on Jun. 4, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I wish my son would go on and on but at 17 he barely speaks to me and when he does if he is not asking for money he is growling! don't beat yourself up i do remember the days when he would talk for days about the power rangers blah blah blah blah blah in one ear out the other.
    bettyrobinson06

Answer by bettyrobinson06 at 1:27 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• I have a 16 and 17 yr old...I would fall over if they spoke to me first! lol! They just do not talk to me and would love it if they were chatter boxes!
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 1:27 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• My soon to be 4 yr old has found his chatter box. He says "mom" every 11 seconds to tell me something or ask a question. Sometimes I swear I can see him making stuff up as he is yacking away lol. I try to listen and be patient but have to admit, when I am distracted it is hard!
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 1:29 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• It happens nowadays because there is so much demanding our attention and so many things occupying our time.
    Now that you are aware of it, you can make the conscious effort to stop what you are doing and listen to him.
    I know I need to do that now and then. I think a lot of parents do.
    It is so difficult being a parent in today's world.
    Your son is so blessed to have you as a mom - your love for him is so evident.
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 1:31 PM on Jun. 4, 2009