What age did you learn to read?

What kids can learn is so amazing to me! And the things they have to learn before Kindergarten is crazy! I just read a post & it says by 4yrs old they should know how to read?
I remember in Kindergarten we learned letters & sounds & first grade we had spelling words like OF (i wanted to spell it ov!).....
So what age did you learn this stuff?! And what age are your kids learning?

MommaTasha1003

Asked by MommaTasha1003 at 12:55 PM on Jun. 4, 2009 in General Parenting

• I learned to read at about 4/5, but was considered an early reader back then because most kids were just starting to learn to read in kindergarten. But just because some kids CAN read that early doesn't mean that all kids SHOULD. Not all kids are developmentally ready to read in pre-school or even K or 1st grade. Those poor kids who aren't ready end up getting labeled LD or ADHD or worse when there's nothing wrong with them that a more time and less pushing wouldn't fix. (Oops, sorry!! That happens to be one of my soapbox issues. I think I'll stop this rant before I really get going!) My oldest is very smart but has sensory and emotional issues which made him one of those kids who just wasn't ready. He learned to read at 10 and caught up very quickly. No early intervention necessary. He simply read when he was developmentally ready to do so. My daughter is 4 and is just starting to read. (We homeschool btw.)
    jessradtke

Answer by jessradtke at 6:39 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• By 4, the should have a concept of the alphabet and numbers. Kindergarten is for letter sounds and starting to sound out words, reading simple phrases (See Spot Run are good types of books children are reading or attempting to read at that point) Those were the guidelines given to us by our school district.
    My son started reading little words like those at about 5. Now at age 7, he can easily read most picture books. His favorites are Bearenstein Bears. He is starting to read chapter books, but gets frustrated easily since there are so many more words and there are no real breaks in the reading.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 12:59 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• I was 5 when we were learning the alphabet and sounds. I was 6 when I was learning to read.

I think it's great if a child can read earlier than that but I don't think it needs to be pushed on them if they're not ready. I hate that people look down on kids that aren't reading at 5....drives me crazy!
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 1:02 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• I read by age 4. I was also so damn bored in Kindergarten....We "learned" A for a week, then B.

My son read at age 5.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 1:08 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• I honestly don't know when I was reading. I was an earlier reader, I know that. But that was just because my sister was 2 years older to me, and as far as I was concerned, she was God, so I wanted to be just like her. I tried really hard to do everything she could do.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 1:19 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• I was between 4 and 5. My son was 5 1/2 and in the second semester of Kindergarten. A child does NOT have to know how to read to be in Kindergarten. They should know their alphabet and the sounds each letter makes. Part of Kindergarten is learning to read. They will push reading more in 1st grade.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 2:15 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• I could read before I started Kindergarten.

My daughter's school told me that by the end of preK she should be able to read simple books. I was pretty shocked.
    Silvertears1275

Answer by Silvertears1275 at 2:40 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• Mom says I was reading around age 3. My son was reading about age 6. It varies so much. My brother is 39 and still cannot read beyond a 3rd grade level. Neither of my girls (ages 2 and 17 months) are even close.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 3:17 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• I'm not sure when I was reading either. We didn't have kindergarten, and I remember the teacher in first grade handing out readers and I read it before she was finished handing them out. My parents were worried because I kept dozing off in class, but I was so bored. I didn't know enough at that age to tell anybody, not that they would have done anything about it but told me to pay attention.

Answer by Bmat at 3:25 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• I learned my ABC's in Kindergarten and how to read in 1st grade. But that was many years ago.
    My daughter is not quite 3 and is sounding out a few small words. She may be reading simple books by Christmas.

What a school expects really varies. The Kindergarten that my daughter will attend expects kids to be reading by the time they end the year. I've noticed on a lot of the "what you child needs to know lists" that they don't say if that's a child coming into that grade or leaving it.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 3:35 PM on Jun. 4, 2009