What would you do if you found out your child's babysitter was doing this?

Yes, I have a babysitter come in once a week (no bashing please). My husband and I need time to ourselves at least once a week, while we go out to dinner and see a movie. We NEED this time to reconnect because we both have VERY busy schedules plus 22 month old twins. Anyway, they sleep through the night, so all the babysitter does is watch TV and entertain herself while we are gone for 2 - 3 hours at the most.
Bear in mind that this babysitter was highly recommended by my pastor as we go to the same church.
Anyway, I found out last night (we had gone to dinner) that she goes in our bedroom and gets on my computer. She had forgotten to log off from her email account! I just dont feel comfortable anymore. What more could she be doing in my bedroom. I have so much private stuff in my bedroom and on my laptop. And I need some advice about how to "fire" her. And oh, she is only 17, if that matters.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:03 PM on Jun. 4, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I would never go into a person's bedroom without permission, but did you tell her your bedroom was off limits? Did you tell her to make herself at home? I guess if she knows the room is off limits then just tell her you know she was in the room and is fired. Otherwise I would talk to her. Maybe she just didn't think it was a big deal and will have no problem staying out of the room. If you really like her, I would hesitate to fire her unless she knew she wasn't to be in there. (And why would people bash you for getting out with your hubby once a week?? I am just very jealous!! Good for you guys!)
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 1:08 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• Good for you for making time for you and hubby....everyone needs that time.

If she was told not to go into your bedroom, I would talk to her about it and then I would
    have to let her go...I would not be able to trust her anymore!
    Dannee

Answer by Dannee at 1:09 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• I think teens nowadays see computers like a T.V. and feel free to use it. I think , if you like her, you just ask her not to use computer please.
    writeon

Answer by writeon at 1:09 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• You seem to feel way to guilty for having some time with your DH..either that or theres some real nasty bitches onCM.... She could have been innocently checking her e-mail...she's young and may not understand the boundaries. I wouldn't worry about firing her..just say your mom's gonna watch the kids.

Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 1:09 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• I don't know why you would fire an otherwise good babysitter because she was in your bedroom on your computer. I would tell her she is not allowed to be in your room and I would lock the door before I left. If after that you find she is in your room again then fire her.
    Do you have other reasons for wanting to fire her?
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 1:12 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• I agree with Farrahann. I would talk with her and then decide what to do after the conversation. I know when I was a babysitter I made some pretty stupid mistakes and was forgiven for them, and I remember my babysitter making some stupid mistakes as well. Its a learning process you know. It could have been a very innocent mistake, which it sounds like to me. If you told her before hand though than that is not ok.
    Precious333

Answer by Precious333 at 1:13 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• Hold back on the firing sometimes people need to be told the obvious. She is a teenager and it sounds like that is all she is doing is on the computer. Why do you even have a computer in the bedroom it is for sex and sleeping only...lol
    If you can can you move the computer to another room or do you just want her off completely.
    Then you just tell her to make sure she stays in the living room and kitchen only and the kids room to check on them. GL
    Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 1:15 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• I think its great that you and your husband found a way to spend some time together. Its not like you are leaving your children all day and night to go bar hopping. You spend 3 hours a week to be a couple. I think every couple should have that ability!

I really think I would just talk to her. Unless you specifically asked her not to go into your bedroom, I would simply state that in the future you would appreciate if she didn't go into your bedroom. With many kids, teenagers especially, their room is where their friends hang out so they don't see it as personal. As an adult, your room is kind of the only place that is just yours, not the kids' or where people hang out while visiting. There is kind of a perception difference between the two. I know there was for me. She just may not have realized she was crossing into personal space.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 1:16 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• I would simply tell her your no longer in need of her services. Thank her and move on.
    luvbnmomnwife

Answer by luvbnmomnwife at 2:04 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• Unless you already told her to stay out of your room I wouldnt fire her. Just talk to her and tell her you know she was on the computer and you dont want her in there anymore. It's not that big of a deal really. As for the time with your hubby, kudos to you guys for being able to keep up a date night. My hubby and I try but things always come up. There is nothing wrong with spending time with your hubby. Wrong would be going out every nite, bar hopping, partying all the time, and so on.
    Love2BMommy77

Answer by Love2BMommy77 at 2:04 PM on Jun. 4, 2009