How does adoption effect babies?

Mama-of-2008

Asked by Mama-of-2008 at 1:12 PM on Jun. 4, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• In what sense?
    Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 1:13 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• Depends on the baby. I once knew this girl who had been adopted into a really nice family (which had lots of money btw) but she was also a crack baby. While that didn't effect her physically, she said that she did have serious mental problems. She told me that she wished a lot of the time that her mother had gotten an abortion. Apparently her mother had been adopted too. She said the only reason she contacted her mother at all was to find out what her medical history on her mothers side of the family was but her mom couldn't even tell her. She said she doesn't know if there's a history of cancer or disease or whatever because she has no idea who her father is or her grandparents.... Now, I'm not saying that's the case for all adopted babies. I knew another two kids who were adopted (brother and sister) and they had a great life.

ajguinn

Answer by ajguinn at 1:23 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• Almost all babies/children that are adopted will undergo some form of grief in their life. Sometimes it manifests itself in behavioral problems, but most of the time it doesn't. Many times the child will grieve and the adoptive family won't even be aware of it. That is why it is so very important that adoptive parents take the time to speak with their child about their adoption on a regular basis and to also do a ton of research before adopting. This way they know the signs and can help the child deal with their grief.
    ( I am an adoptive mother to a little girl from China- she was 17 months when we adopted her.)
    mcginnisc

Answer by mcginnisc at 2:56 PM on Jun. 4, 2009