Staying dry through the night?

My daughter just turned 3 and I am just curious when she will start staying dry through the night so she can war panties to bed. Thank you!

firsttimemommy

Asked by firsttimemommy at 1:16 PM on Jun. 4, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• It depends on the child. My 3 year old has never peed the bed. My 5 year old still has an occasional accident. If you have one that has occasional or downright nightly accidents, make life easy on yourself and have several sets of sheets ready to go as well as a bed protector.....this will keep you from getting angry over the accidents and keep her from feeling stressed or anxious about something is still gaining control over. Some people use the nighttime pull-ups until their children show consistent dry nights. Don't stress over it, she will get it when her body is ready.
    oregonmom22

Answer by oregonmom22 at 1:31 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• well mine wake up dry but i make sure that the last drink they have is two hours before bedtime. and i make sure they use the potty before bed even if they tell me they dont have to go.
    rosepetalluv

Answer by rosepetalluv at 2:25 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• It really varies and can't be forced or trained. It's like asking "when will my husband quit snoring at night so I can sleep"... he's asleep so it's not something he can control.

Limiting fluids does not work. All it does is make the child thirsty and teach them to ignore their body's signals to drink.
    Make sure she goes just before bed.
    You can try waking her just before you go to bed too - try to make this the same time every night.
    You can also try figuring out what time she pees (you'll have to wake her to check). Once you find a pattern, you can try waking her 1/2 hour before that time until she learns to wake herself. You will both be tired and grumpy for however many months this takes.
    You can wait another year or so and try a bedwetting alarm. They usually work but the child needs to be a little older.
    You can wait until she outgrows it - usually by age 6.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 3:31 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• my son was 4 and a half my friends child the same age was 3. Every kids is different. I finally told my son that when he could wake up dry 3 days in a row we would buy him new underwear and he could wear them to bed. I don't know if that really helped but he was done with in a few weeks of that. He still has random accidents though.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 8:29 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• my 3 yo old ahs been potty trained now for about 5 months. She has only had 3 accidents at night.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 11:33 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• All kids are different.There can be alot of factors why kids wet the bed. Limiting the water doesnt help. Alot of times they wet because they sleep too deep and dont even know they are going.Also if they get too cold they sometimes wet. i would use pullups so she never lays in a wet bed untill you find the pee, and I also think its very, very important to never get mad or belittle her. If shes upset about her accidents just talk with her and tell her not to worry, one day soon she will wake up dry. My youngest brother had accidents untill junior high because he slept too deep and didnt know he wet untill morning. My parents tried everything, limiting fluids and getting him up several times a night. They used to make sheets that had a little buzzer that would go off when you started to pee. This worked well for him, I dont know if they still make those things.
    5isenoughforme

Answer by 5isenoughforme at 1:46 AM on Jun. 5, 2009

• Like many people had already stated....all children are different. My 4 year old son did really good for a while. He was waking up completely dry. What I do is not give him anything to drink 1 hour before bedtime. I do however, leave a small cup with a little bit of water by his bedside. I had recently changed his bedtime from 9pm to 8pm and that is when I noticed the consistant accidents. Because his bedtime was earlier it was much harder to limit how much he was drinking before bedtime. I had just recently put his bedtime back to 9pm and he has not had any accidents since. This was the best way for me to do it. It may or may not work for you but it is worth a shot. Good luck!
    Ethansmyson1

Answer by Ethansmyson1 at 9:37 AM on Jun. 5, 2009