Big Birthday Parties??

I have an 8 year old and almost 3 year old. I have had big parties every year for them and last year my youngest party was sucked so much for me. I invited both sides of our families and they clash. My family is loud and rude, hubby's are great. My mom was putting down the food, made comments about my child's behavior (2 at his own party), it sucked. I spent a lot of money and ended up having my feelings hurt and I promised myself that I would not put myself through this again.

Well...it is that time of year again and I really just want to make a cake FOR US and not invite anyone. Does anyone else do this? Do you feel that you HAVE to have a blow out?

jalex

Asked by jalex at 1:28 PM on Jun. 4, 2009 in Food & Drink

• Normally I have a party with DH's family every year, but am choosing not to this year. I always wind up going to so much work, and because no one else is as enthused, my birthday boy doesn't feel as special as he should. To them, its just another bbq with a cake thrown in. I have a catty sil who always makes some backhanded comment to me about the party itself (she never throws one for her own kids), and I'm just so tired of it.

My youngest is turning 5 this month and I'm planning on just doing a small get together with my side of the family. My kids are the youngest by far, so there won't be a lot of 'stuff' planned other than dinner, a family activity, and cake/presents. It will be much more lowkey, but I'm expecting to enjoy myself, too - rather than just being grateful the day/party is over.
    Anonymous

• My family makes my daughters birthday difficult every year. Her birthday is at the end of october so I have to do it indoors I wish I could just throw everyone together outside and hope for the best. Just last year she turned 4 and everyone decided to show up at odd times instead of the planned 2-4 o'clock party I had planned I was pissed I had people stopping by from noon till 9 at night! After all was said and done I ended up singing happy birthday to her and doing the cake thing by myself.... From now on I'm going to be very clear about what I expect I'm waiting for the simple days when she's in school and I can just do kid parties for her.
    mizsaxton

Answer by mizsaxton at 1:34 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• I have the same issue's! We have seperate parties to fix it.
    luvbnmomnwife

Answer by luvbnmomnwife at 1:48 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• You need to call you mom and tell her that it is still upsetting you after a year has gone by. You will be stuck every year doing nothing if you dont get a handle on this. If she cant be nice, then she cant come! Period! If she starts up, ask her to leave.
    forevermom75

Answer by forevermom75 at 1:45 PM on Jun. 6, 2009