Do you tip the car hops at Sonics?

I'v never tipped them before, but when I was there the other day the girl asked me for a tip.

danyle02

Asked by danyle02 at 1:32 PM on Jun. 4, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I would if the service is good but if they ask for, that's a def no they will not be seeing 1 PERIOD.
    Anonymous

• I can't believe you got asked. That's jacked up. Wow. I really can't wrap my head around that. Hmm. In any case, I will tip usually my change. I am cheap. I figure all they did was bring me my order. The counter people at Taco Bell will do that occasionally and I don't tip them. So I spent $8.50 or whatever, I may just tell her to keep the change. I don't ever tip more than a buck and change to carhops.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 1:34 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• I've never tipped them before, and never will, they take too long and they didn't even bring us everything we asked for. They always forget something, we've even had our fried dropped before and had to get news ones! I love sonic but their service is always horrible, no matter what town I'm in! LOL maybe it's just me. If someone asked me for a tip I would say "ok heres a tip________" and give them a tip about life! LOL
    Anonymous

• Um, it is not expected. Those people do make actual minimum wage, not waitstaff minimums. If you feel the need to tip them because you enjoyed the extra special service, do it. But NO, I would not tip if asked. I'd probably ask to speak with a manager!!!
    Js_Mommy131

Answer by Js_Mommy131 at 1:37 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• She ASKED you for a tip? Wow. I ordered a pizza a couple weeks ago and when the guy delievered it I gave him a $20 and he asked how much change I needed. Uhh...all of it?

But to your question, they just opened up a Sonic here and we went for the first time and it wasn't until we ordered that I realized I should probably tip the guy. But I didn't have any cash only some loose change and I thought that might be kind of an insult...I'll bring a buck or two next time.
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 1:39 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• Nope. They make minimum wage. It's not being paid like a waitress. I don't see why waitress' only get $2 an hour either. ..But whatever.
    sarapurser

Answer by sarapurser at 1:39 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• No, I never have. I also don't tip at Starbucks or anything like that. I tip waitresses because they do a lot and get paid so little. I know fast food workers don't make huge paychecks or anything, but they're not making $3 an hour.

Silvertears1275

Answer by Silvertears1275 at 1:51 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• bc waitresses get tips and have to split tips with barbacks and busboys
    FoxyRoxyMommy

Answer by FoxyRoxyMommy at 1:51 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• Since when do waitresses only make $2/hr? Here they get minimum wage ($8/hr) PLUS tips.
    Anonymous

• Sadly, we don't have a Sonic here in MA. I go when I go visit family in KS though! I think we've always gone in though, but I would definitely tip the car person.
    rio_burb

Answer by rio_burb at 2:07 PM on Jun. 4, 2009