If Obama is muslim..

because he was born into a Muslim family, does that mean I am Christian because I was born into a Christian family, went to bible school, and participated in bible camps? even though I don't believe or practice that religion and haven't for over a decade I can't call myself a Buddhist can I?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:37 PM on Jun. 4, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Well, I was baptized Christian as a tiny baby but i never went to church or camp or sunday school and in fact would get the baptism reversed or taken off if i could.

And, as a fellow Buddhist, you certainly can call yourself one if that's what you believe.
    JackalsWife

Answer by JackalsWife at 1:39 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• I don't know what Obama is.....I just don't agree with many things he does, muslim or christian.
    Precious333

Answer by Precious333 at 1:38 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• Nope, you obviously didn't get that email saying that once you're born into a certian religion or a country for that matter that you can be nothing else EVER! *Sarcasim*
    Anonymous

• I was baptized Lutheran, confirmed Methodist, married the 1st time Catholic, married the 2nd time Presbyterian, I now consider myself Agnositc, but I guess I'm really Lutheran, is that how this works? But wait, my dad was Catholic and my mom Lutheran and my dad converted for her, so maybe I'm really half Catholic half Lutheran??

Excellent point OP.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 1:40 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• He's been a Christian for 20 years. He hasn't hidden that fact. The man is older than 20 so maybe he wasn't Christian before, but he certainly has been for 20 years. As my 14 year old cousin would say "Der!"
    Anonymous

• Maybe this question would be better suited in the Religion and Beliefs section? Just a thought....
    dragonfly7271

Answer by dragonfly7271 at 1:41 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• Good point, but on here that doesn't mean a hill of beans. People don't like it when things make sense.
    Anonymous

• Haha gramsmom I think they call that "HalfCath"
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 1:42 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• He never said he's been a christian for 20 years he just attended that church for 20 years, before that he was going to other christian churches. He wasn't born into a muslim family, his mother isn't muslim and that is who raised him, that is the only family he ever knew. But OP your right you are what you choose to be not what your born into.
    Anonymous

• I was born and baptised Catholic, even went to Catholic school till the 3rd grade. Been Born Again gone to a couple of churches including Methodist. I guess I'm not allowed to consider myself Agnostic then. Bummer.

This whole Muslim thing is stupid. There are plenty of things to complain about Obama that are real valid concerns, this is just petty.

Friday

Answer by Friday at 1:48 PM on Jun. 4, 2009