• In the Spotlight:

Has any one heard about the pending tax on people who have medical insurance?

I believe its to come out of your income tax return. Those with medical insurance will be taxed to provide for those without. Seems like it would be cheaper to loose your insurance. My DH's union is going to Washington to protest.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:40 PM on Jun. 4, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• OP here..It will be 2,500 a year for us.
    Anonymous

• This is odd. I live in Massachusetts. This year there was a new state form to attach that you filled out stating whether you had insurance or not. If not, you had a financial penalty. The state has provided us with a very nice health insurance affordable to all. So it's just silly-ness that someone wouldn't have it. They're being fined for stupidity I think. haha
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 1:41 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• Sure, itd be cheaper to just leach off the government now a days. This country has got it ass backwards.
    Anonymous

• I live in Massachusetts

Massachusetts has a very screwed up mandatory insurance law. If you don't buy the state provided insurance, they fine you for it (in your taxes) and still don't provide it, but ultimately, the fine is cheaper than the state provided insurance. Meaning for people who lose their jobs or are just getting by, it's cheaper to pay the fine than pay for insurance. It was supposed to target single 20somethings who don't pay for insurance because they don't think they need it, but it screwed over a lot of the working poor in the process.

If this federal tax goes through, I wonder how MA will handle it - because it really will be damned if you do, damned if you don't.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 1:45 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• It is a thought they are tossing around but not a done deal. Also Obama has now decided he is ok with the health plan being mandatory so don't think you will get away without paying for healthcare. Funny, another campaign flip flop. I'm telling you, this is a BAD idea, Obama fantasy healthcare. You people with your heads in the sand had better come up for air and start researching.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 1:53 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• No, hadn't heard this and while it doesn't affect me because i have military ins. I would be annoyed if this passed.

Oh, and wheres the ink saying that President Obama has okay'd the health plan being mandatory?
    JackalsWife

Answer by JackalsWife at 1:55 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• OP ..I'll loose the anon...I normally just default to anon when its politics or religion. My DH works for verizon and the union is taking everyone by bus to Washington.

Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 2:01 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• Do you have a link? I would love to read about this. I am one of those "people" who have private insurance and always have. I would never trade it for crap govt healthcare, but I am interested to see how much its going to cost me. The link would be helpful.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 2:05 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• I actually don't have a lot of info on the subject. My DH just told me last night...I was hoping you ladies could fill me in. I'll call him and see if he can point me in the right direction for more info.
    Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 2:07 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• And the people getting Obama's governmental health will pay little to nothing?

As usual....................

mustbeGRACE

Answer by mustbeGRACE at 2:08 PM on Jun. 4, 2009