autistic?

my daughter will be 2 within the next couple of days, she jumps when she gets happy, she sometimes walks on her tippy toes. she loves giving hugs and kisses, she says hi, bye, her abcs, she can count to 5 (if i say the numbers first same with abcs), i love you, molly (our puppy), starting to make 3 word sentences, mommy, daddy, thats me, thats mommy, thats daddy (when she sees our pictures) kitty, beach, water, juice, pillow, and so much more, if i typed them all i would run out of space. someone told me she is too smart and she might be a little autistic, cause she jumps around when she gets happy, and sometimes walks on her tippy toes, and shes "too smart", i spend every day, every second with her, i teach her abcs, 123s, and spanish, she can count to seven in spanish, should i be worried, or is that it good that she does all that?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:46 PM on Jun. 4, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• She sounds just fine to me by what you wrote, but if you think it may be possible then call the dr and get an appt.
    Love2BMommy77

Answer by Love2BMommy77 at 1:48 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• i dont know, she doesnt seem like it to me, but i was wondering if what she does is normal or if there may be something to worry about, i dont know all the signs, so im not sure.
    Anonymous

• She sounds fine to me too. I think big signs that she is not autistic is that she's very verbal and affectionate. I'd ask the doctor at her 2 year check up, but I'd bet he'll say she's just fine.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 1:52 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• I don't see it based on what you wrote. Being inteligent doesn't mean they are autistic....SHe sounds like a normal (maybe a little more intelligent than others) happy toddler to me
    heather.darin

Answer by heather.darin at 1:53 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• I heard that a big cue to autism is not making eye contact, always looking to one side or the other. If she dosent do this, I would just mention it to the Dr at her check up.
    Love2BMommy77

Answer by Love2BMommy77 at 1:54 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• thanks ladies ill talk to the doctor, but like i said i wasnt sure if it was normal or not and if i should worry or not. i get all worried when someone says something so ya know.
    Anonymous

• I doubt she's autistic. Whoever told you that is just probably jealous that your kid can do things her's can't? Some kids just pick up things super quick. My ds is like that. He learned to count to 100 by 10's in half an hour. My ds is 4 and I've been homeschooling him for a month and we are already halfway through the kindergarten curriculum. Keep up the good work your doing with her. Nothing wrong with have a smart kid. Just make sure she's having fun when you do it, help develop her love of learning.

As for jumping up and down when she's happy. A lot of kids do that, espeically girls. Even adults do that when they get excited. My ds jumps up and down when he's happy and he walks around on his tip toes. Those two things are some of the characteristics of autism but not deciding factors. If she's making eye contact with you and doesn't have "meltdown's" all the time over the littlest things, I wouldn't worry.
    sadira29

Answer by sadira29 at 1:57 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• I have 2 cousins that are autistic! And neither of them acted like that at 2! They both were incredibly smart but they didn't want to talk and didn't really get excited over very much! They both could talk don't get me wrong but they shyed away from ppl! Many autistic children are not very lovey either!
    kcriswell

Answer by kcriswell at 1:58 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• My son was doing the same things at that age. He continues to learn at a slightly faster pace than his peers... You just have a clever little girl. Be proud.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 2:59 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• You are describing a normal smart toddler there.
    Cynthje

Answer by Cynthje at 3:09 PM on Jun. 4, 2009