Sleep issues - Pulling up/Standing in crib!

Help! My ds is 8 months. He used to fall asleep pretty easily, and usually slept 10 hours a night often waking up once after 7-8 hours for a feeding. Now, he's been waking up and instead of a soothing himself back to sleep , he pulls up in his crib gets stuck there, and screams! We usually put him down for naps & bed with a consistent routine. I hear that new skills - in this case, crawling and pulling up - throw their sleep patterns off track. We lowered his mattress at the first signs of his being able to pull up to standing, so I'm more concerned about the sleep pattern than his escape plan (we also have a video monitor). I know he needs to learn to let go of the railing and go back to sleep on his own! Ideas?

mevxoxo

Asked by mevxoxo at 2:16 PM on Jun. 4, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My daughter is a year old and still won't let go and lay down herself. She only self-soothes if she is already laying down or sitting.

Sorry, I know that doesn't help, but I just thought I'd let you know you aren't alone.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 2:21 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• Maybe he just wants his mommy. Just go in there and comfort him. They all stand in their cribs. 8 months is a little young to think he will just "learn" how to go back to sleep on his own. It sounds alot like CIO to me. Remember: CIO is NOT reccomended for any baby under the age of one year.
    Anonymous

• It's something that will pass in time. In the meanwhile, teach him how to lower himself from a standing position. That way, he won't get stuck. My daughter is 11 months old, and there have been a few times she has awakened and stood up in her crib, crying because she can't lower herself. Practice during the day, by holding his hand and letting him lower himself while you are supporting him. Then give him an opportunity to lower himself.

And CIO is not recommended for children under 6 MONTHS, not one year of age. But it doesn't sound like that's what you are doing anyways.

Good luck!!
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 7:51 PM on Jun. 4, 2009