• In the Spotlight:

Have you ever been fired

if so what for and how did you handle it .was it your fault or was they just be plain out unfair

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:26 PM on Jun. 4, 2009 in Money & Work

• My boss at a pizza place I worked at was stealing the store blind. When I went above her and complained she fired me. Actually she didn't do it herself, she had one of her little cronies do it. I made her suffer, I insisted that by law she had to pay me within three days, which is the law by the way. She couldn't do it because payroll was in another state. It really chapped her ass to have to do all the paperwork for firing me. She was fired two months later for stealing...duh. I got my job back within a week.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 2:30 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• I have been fired twice. Once was definitely NOT my fault and the other was kind of complicated. The first time I got fired though I got fired for stealing which I didn't do but I was the manager and since they couldn't prove anyone else the axed me. The second time is just long and complicated. I cried both times because I felt that they were both unfair and I had worked at each place for over a year.
    AutumnsMom31309

Answer by AutumnsMom31309 at 2:31 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• Yes, I was fired. I was having to work 80 hours plus a week so yes, I would say it was unfair. Then I found out that they closed the store after, I was the manager and the owner was not spending our money right. They didn't want to give me unemployment so they said I was doing a poor job. It totally sucked and I was very depressed for a very long time. I worked very hard and knew I did a good job. But, if I had not been fired, I would have lost that job anyway. It was just a self confidence blow for me. I now run my own business and I am very successful. I would not have had that chance if it had worked out.

AmyMK

Answer by AmyMK at 2:31 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• I got accused of stealing at a pizza place too!
    AutumnsMom31309

Answer by AutumnsMom31309 at 2:32 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• never been fired, i always quit before they could fire me! lol bad i know!
    my2loves0607

Answer by my2loves0607 at 2:33 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• twice. All of my bosses have been women. (I'll get to that in a minute) Well, I have this problem with kissing butt. I just won't do it. And I usually end up developing an attitude problem about the inevitable stupidity that occurs in any job place. I mean, I just want to go in and do my job well and a lot of times I feel resented for doing a good job and I think it's that alpha female complex. I've gotten this feeling in most of my jobs that my boss was in some way threatened by my competence and lack of involvement in the catty b.s. going on and then they find some stupid reason to let me go. Maybe I just really need to work for a man. Sorry ladies, I love you but I can't work under you. Does any of this make any sense at all to anyone? lol.
    iluvmommyhood58

Answer by iluvmommyhood58 at 2:34 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• I worked 40 years with excellent references and not fired. Recently I took job caring for 99 yr. old man living with grandaughter and dh. She told me to force feed him. I did not. Her dh called to tell me it wasn't working out so I said O.K. thanks for calling, click. I wasn't going to give him the satisfaction of telling me what I did wrong.
    writeon

Answer by writeon at 2:35 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• I became the squeaky wheel. I saw things that were going on that shouldn't have been. I didn't get "fired" but I was "laid off"....I filed my complaints with DFI and etc and well let's just say it didn't bode (sp) well for my X employer.
    mamakirs

Answer by mamakirs at 2:48 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• Sorta- I worked at the dollar store one summer. A few weeks before school started, I went and asked about a new schedule for the school year. Yeah- they weren't happy about it. They wanted me to work at 3:00 but school didn't get out until 3:15. So they just let me go. I'm kinda glad cause they were rude. Like we had to wait until it was exactly 3:00 to clock in. If we were a minute late we got in trouble, but we couldn't be a minute early.

To top it off they had us stack their breakable items in such a way that if anyone brushed against it then everything would crash, and they'd have to pay for it. SUCK huh?

I once got written up for "stealing" $40.00. Later they found out that they hadn't counted a check for $40.00- I asked if I was still being written up for it and they said yes. Yeah I could go on and on about them.
    Anonymous

• Once, it was a click thing, not a performance thing.
    IraqiVetWife

Answer by IraqiVetWife at 5:26 PM on Jun. 4, 2009