Lil J has to have surgery... : {

He has to have his tonsils and androids{sp} taken out. Has anyone went through this experience or if your child had this procedure done? Is going to hurt real bad?

diamondmamma

Asked by diamondmamma at 2:38 PM on Jun. 4, 2009 in Kids' Health

• cryingAll poor baby!!!!! I hope he feels better. Keep me posted.... I dont like to see little kids getting sick or even surgery for the matter.

momofonewntmore

Answer by momofonewntmore at 5:20 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• For those who don't know lil j is my 3 yr old son.
    diamondmamma

Answer by diamondmamma at 2:41 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• did u mean agnoids?? well my sister had that same procedure done when she was like 5 and it was uncomfortable for her for awhile to eat food so she basically ate pop sicles and ice chips for a few days until she got her appetite back, but ever since then she hasn't really had bad allergies or other throat issues so I am guessing the procedure was a success!!! :)
    Anonymous

• Aw shoot! yes Im sorry agnoids...lol..thanks sweetie.
    diamondmamma

Answer by diamondmamma at 2:43 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• i had it done when i was a child(5 years old). all i remember is all thge yummy milk shakes my parents let me eat!
    bettylou420

Answer by bettylou420 at 3:21 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• My youngest son had it done at 4, when his dad picked us up that evening, he couldn't believe our son had had the surgery since he was up and playing. We gave him popsicles and so forth as recommended, but it really didn't make him ill or in much pain.

Answer by Bmat at 3:39 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• PS, I hope your son comes through this well and feels much better soon.

Answer by Bmat at 3:42 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• Thank you Bmat ; }
    diamondmamma

Answer by diamondmamma at 4:10 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• I'm a ped's nurse, so I'll let you know what I know from my perspective.
    He'll actually have his tonsils and ADENOIDS removed. (just to clear that up)
    After surgery he'll be very sleepy for a few hours and when he waked up he'll likely be in some pain. They will have your child drink some clear fluids and eat things like popsicles or jello to start with. They will give oral pain medication (it doesn't taste very good) hopefully your child is a good medicine taker... it can be a challenge otherwise. You want to keep the pain under control so your child is willing to drink.

It's really important to be open and truthful with your child about what is going to happen... letting him know when he wakes up he will have a sore throat and that the medicine is going to help but doesn't always taste the best... but can have a popsicle after taking it.
    We had parents once who lied to their child and said they were going swimming.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 6:12 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• cont.
    That child stayed a WEEK because she was so angry... she wouldn't drink anything at all. She would hold her medicine in her mouth for HOURS!

So if they know what is going to happen they deal with it much better.

Getting special treats (special popsicles he can pick out before surgery) or a special cup... like Diego cup or something might help.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 6:16 PM on Jun. 4, 2009