CRY IT OUT, DOES IT REALLY WORK?

OKAY I ROCK HIM TO SLEEP AND THEN I LAY HIM DOWN SOON AS HE FEELS THAT I AM AWAY FROM HIM AND THAT THERE IS NO MORE BODY HEAT HE OPENS HIS EYES AND STARTS TO SCREAM AT THE TOP OF HIS LITTLE LUNGS. I HATE IT BECAUSE I DONT LIKE TO SEE HIM CRY IT MAKES ME CRY. SO MY GRANDMOTHER TOLD ME ABOUT THE "CRY IT OUT". SHE TOLD ME TO MAKE SURE WE DIM THE LIGHTS OR USE A LAMP FOR THE ROOM AND WASH HIM UP CHANGE HIM MAKE SURE HE HAS A DRY DIAPER ON AND BRUSH HIS HAIR AND LOTION HIM DOWN AND MASSAGE HIM AND IF HE CRIES JUST LET HIM CRY BY THE TIME YOU ARE FINISHED GROOMING HIM HE WILL TIRED AND COMFORTABLE AND WILL FALL ASLEEP AND I TRIED IT LAST NIGHT AND HE SLEPT THROUGH THE WHOLE NIGHT NO JOKE..

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:40 PM on Jun. 4, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• with my daughter we started around 6-8 months don't remember the exact time. we let her cry for 2 mins then would go in rub her back do a quick diaper check w/o picking her up, then let her cry for 5 mins then 7 and so forth. the second night started out at 5 mins and added 3, the third night started at 8 and added 5 mins. by the 4th night she cried for 2 mins and then was asleep and ever since then has never needed anyone to put her to sleep. will be doing it again with my son when he is older.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 3:01 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• How old is he? From your post you are not leaving him alone to cry it out but you are massaging him to sleep?
    Anyway CIO where you leave them to cry it out for a while is not advised for children under 6 months (some say 4 months) but honestly i think that kids will start sleeping through the night when they are ready for it. Both my children started sleeping through the night at 3-4 weeks not because of anything i did but because that's the way they are.
    Cynthje

Answer by Cynthje at 3:07 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• Yes, it works. You didn't mention how old your child is... I assume over 6 months? Pediatricians agree your child has to be older than 6 months.

It might take 3 nights, it might take a week or two, every child is different. Make sure he doesn't need anything, that he's comfy and fed and clean diaper and all of that... put him down and let it happen. If you have to go in there to check on him (I don't recommend unless you feel absolutely necessary. It'll make you crazier) don't touch him. You can go in and reassure with some calming words but don't pick him up or anything or you'll just be starting all over with any progress you've made. Take a baby monitor, just in case, and turn it down until you can just hear him for safety reasons, and go outside if you have to escape the sound. But you will see progress and probably rather quickly, within the first couple nights. Mine are wonderful sleepers now. :)
    iluvmommyhood58

Answer by iluvmommyhood58 at 3:19 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• i dont agree with letting them cry it out. my pediatrician and ob/gyn said that if a baby is crying they need something. i tire my baby out and give him a bottle when he is too tired to do anything else and he sleeps wonderfully. i'm not saying you're wrong. Also swaddling your baby is good because that holds in the heat.
    Queentdi

Answer by Queentdi at 3:38 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• I agree with Queentdi, I don't agree with CIO either, I think it's cruel. IMO under 1 if a baby cries they need something and should be tended to.
    LeoneLover13

Answer by LeoneLover13 at 6:56 AM on Jun. 7, 2009

• i'm not a believer of the cry it out method. my mom made me do that with my oldest and it killed me everytime. one thing you can try, i did this with one of mine because she was a daddy's girl from day one. that the shirt you wore yesterday that has not be washed and wrap it around the baby. if that don't work try buying a sling, wrap or some other kind of carrier for the baby.
    mommaseyes

Answer by mommaseyes at 1:01 PM on Jun. 7, 2009