Can you get married in one state and live in another???

I know this may sound like a stupid question and it may still end up being stupid, but I just read a journal post that said New Hampshire legalized gay marrage (they have a "civil marrage" and a "religous marrage". So my question is can't a gay couple get married in New Hampshire but live in a different state? And also if they decided to get married and it is legal can they still get all the benefits from being married (ie. medical insurance ect.) or does it have to be legal in the state you live to get all the benefits? I truley don't know and I'm actually straight. I'm just curious I have friends who are gay.

luvmygrlz

Asked by luvmygrlz at 2:49 PM on Jun. 4, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• This basically is one of the problems this country faces, we're right now a divided country on this issue and it is no small matter as it directly effects peoples lives and living situation.   I wonder a lot at why we allow such big issues to be individually decided upon from state to state instead of it being a national law decided upon by the countries leaders.

In any case, answer to your question I would think it would not be recognized elsewhere, it doesn't make it fair or right but that is how our country is right now, divided.   I have family/friends that are gay/lesbian and to be honest those I know that are straight or otherwise know the time will come where the country will have to become united on this decision, that time just hasn't yet come.

Knightquester

Answer by Knightquester at 6:49 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• a few good questions, I'm curious to hear the answers as well and I don't even have gay friends or family.
    Ladybugkisses76

Answer by Ladybugkisses76 at 2:52 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• I beileve it is only legal in states where gay marriage is legal.
    Anonymous

• This isn't a stupid question, it's actually a pretty good one.

I got married in Hawaii and live in ND and everything is completely legal here. Hmmm...If the rules apply for straight couples it would only be fair for them to appy to homosexual couples, IMO.
    Anonymous

• Gay marriage is totally different, if one state legalized it that doesn't mean the other states count. So if someone got married there then went to live in another state they would not be considered married there. But straight people are considered married no matter where they live in the US. So the gay people would not get rights if they lived in a different state other than New Hampshire.
    Anonymous

• Not sure. I think it should be recognized as a legal marriage everywhere in the country if you legally get married in a state like NH as a gay/lesbian couple. I mean a straight couple can fly to Vegas and get married there and it's recognized by their home state as well as every other state in the US, why should a homosexual couple be any different? In NY right now it's not recognized (where I live). There recently was a lawsuit against the state because they refused to recognize a lesbian couple as being married, they had been married in Canada, so that might be different because it was another country but from what I read it's was just because they were lesbians.
    Anonymous

• I dont know for sure, but im assuming if a couple gets married LEGALLY no matter where, they are entitled to the benefits of the marriage everywhere..
    BEXi

Answer by BEXi at 2:56 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• IF YOU GET MARRIED IN A STATE WERE GAY MARRIAGE IS LEGAL AND GO LIVE IN ANOTHER STATE WHO DOES NOT HAVE LEGAL GAY MARRIAGE, YOUR MARRIAGE IS NULL AND VOID IN THE STATE WITHOUT LEGAL MARRIAGE. IF YOU STAY IN THE STATE WHERE IT IS LEGAL, YOU GET ALL THE BENEFITS ANYONE ELSE WOULD GET IN MARRIAGE.

Answer by older at 3:07 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• I was just doing some research on marriage, spicifically common law marriage, and each state has different rules. Check out about.com. They have listings for each state and they tell you if you can marry your cousin etc. Obviously I didn't have time to look up every state. Most states you can get married even if you are not a resident. but I know certain states have decided not to recognize gay marriage. and for common law marriage you have to live together in that state.

Anonymous

• No, the legal rights do not transfer to a non-gay marriage state. Thats one of the biggest issues of the fight!

Pro-Gay Marriage!
    ozarkgirl3

Answer by ozarkgirl3 at 3:36 PM on Jun. 4, 2009