How can I get my 13 month old son out of my bed and into his crib?

My son has never slept in his own crib. I've tried several times to put him in there to go to sleep and he just stands there and screams and cries. I've tried putting a movie on for him and everything. I'll leave him in there for like an hour and i'll have to get him out cause i cant take the screaming and crying anymore... Someone please help!!!

Asked by Ash859 at 1:34 PM on Jun. 21, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I wouldn't recommend putting a movie on! That would just stimulate him to stay up and watch. My DS is 15 mo old and is in a big boy bed (a twin mattress on the ground)..he started at 13 mo old. Have you tried putting the crib mattress on the ground? Maybe you could try that and maybe just some quiet music. My DS will sometimes throw a fit but that's just their age. If he's tired, he won't really throw a fit.

Answer by schmoo_mommy at 1:53 PM on Jun. 21, 2008

• I have the same problem! what im doing is, i put her toddler bed in my room so she can get used to it. She will wake up in the middle of the night and crawl in bed with us, but i always comfort her then put her back in her bed. After a while i hope she feels comfortable enough where i can move the bed in her room!!

Answer by megan24226 at 2:11 PM on Jun. 21, 2008

• I would imagine it is difficult for the child...for the parent it would involve lots of patience and consistency. I believe an early wake up, a busy day, a short early nap if he takes a nap. He may protest for a bit and he might protest for the next couple of days but if the house is quiet and he is tired from a long busy and physical day, it won't be long before he will want to go to bed in his own crib in his room. Good Luck I hope you find something that works for you and your son.

Answer by whisperz_2004 at 2:55 PM on Jun. 21, 2008