ants?

so my mom was telling me to get rid of the ants that are all over my bathroom and kitchen to mix suger and ..... she forgot but knows its something simple like baking soda or something!? she said its a household item that is really cheap, does anyone know what that item is???

RhiannonHunt

Asked by RhiannonHunt at 2:52 PM on Jun. 4, 2009 in Home & Garden

• I just found this in the web never heard of it before. Yeast Molasses Sugar Mix

Mix together 1 part sugar, 1 part active yeast and 2 parts molasses. Drop the mixture, 1 teaspoon at at time, onto small pieces of paper.

Strategically place the pieces of paper along ant trails or where the ant problem is obvious. This is one of the safest home remedies for ants because it contains no chemicals.

northcarolinama

Answer by northcarolinama at 8:16 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• oh and I live in a very old house and it had lots of places they can get in at, so I cant find the spot where they are coming in.
    RhiannonHunt

Answer by RhiannonHunt at 2:54 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• Am not sure but i have heard they dont cross chalk lines :)
    tjandjenna

Answer by tjandjenna at 2:55 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• I've heard cinnamon keeps them out, but I tried it and all i got was cinnamon everywhere and my house smelling like Thanksgiving. lol You could try it, though, maybe I just didn't do enough or something. The best thing I have found is just using ant traps (Combat) and keeping food sealed up good. I've also found that if you can really scrub at the area where they keep making their trail, sometimes you can confuse them and they'll go away, but you have to really scrub at it to wash away the chemical they leave behind to help them find their way.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 3:27 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• Hey...were having a ant-catastrophe over here in my house too, lol. Used bug spray, ant motel thingys or whatever the heck they are..not working. When and If you find out what the other idgrediant is, can you please let me know too!!! I'm really "bugged" by this problem, haha.yeah, corny humor..it keeps me going. anyway, thx :)
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 3:28 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• ok so i went to yahoo answers and they said mix boric acid with pernut butter. well i dont have any of that. so i also read about borax, so i mixed some that with with sweet n low (im out of sugar too) and set it around on little plates. also sprinkled borax around the outside of the house! ill let you know if it works!
    RhiannonHunt

Answer by RhiannonHunt at 3:35 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• spray vinegar with orange oil where you see them gather.

Answer by rkoloms at 7:22 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• they don't like the smell of vinegar. and I think you mom is thinking of Borax but be carefull this is harmfull to pet and kids if they eat it
    northcarolinama

Answer by northcarolinama at 8:15 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• I've heard sweet n low alone will kill them.
    momandvet

Answer by momandvet at 3:45 AM on Jun. 5, 2009

• ok so jsut to update so far..ive put out sweet nlow mixed with borax, and it seems to be working so far. ive seen very few
    RhiannonHunt

Answer by RhiannonHunt at 6:20 PM on Jun. 5, 2009