How do you get your hubby more interactive and excited about your pregnancy?

is he not excited because he is scared? overwhelmed? or just doesnt know what to be? any others deal with this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:00 PM on Jun. 4, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Get a week by week pregnancy book with pictures, show him each week what stage your baby is at.When it starts to move, grab his hand and hold it onto your belly. Sleep with your belly up against his back at night...and if he feels the baby kick his back...well, who wouldnt be excited about that?lol. He'll get there, don't worry. He may feel a little left out because its you and your body and the baby is in you.He may feel there is nothing fo rhim to do but wait.Good Luck.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 3:11 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• mine is excited, he talks to my belly alot
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 3:02 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• Don't fret about it. Let him know that you would like him to be there for Dr. appts., etc. Especially the birth (Yes, that should be a no brainer.)... When the baby is born, you'll see a difference. For a man, it's not really real until they can hold the baby in their arms. Remember, you carry the baby around for 9 months, it's concrete real to you. Give him time! He'll get there.
    Js_Mommy131

Answer by Js_Mommy131 at 3:05 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• Ditto Js Mommy. Thankfully my husband was into it, not as much as me, but at least he was a bit... but I know lots of men that couldn't quite grasp it until the baby arrived. Very common.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 3:09 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• My husband wasn't that excited for our first child until the last couple months or so. Now with our second pregnancy he is SO EXCITED and I'm definitely not as hyped up as he is. I think he will be more into it when he actually holds the baby. I wouldn't worry to much about it.
    danyle02

Answer by danyle02 at 3:13 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• My husband was the exact same way. he was so nervouse about providing for the family and what that meant in terms of his life changing. he wouldnt even talk to me about being pregnant until one night i tild him we were going to have it out b/ci needed to know how he felt. and he told me he was terrified that he wasnt going to be a good dad, hes never been around babies and i have se he feels like he will never be as good of a parent as me. I told him that all he has to do is ask and i will help him any way i can. after that talk he started talking to my belly and touching me more. he starting asking about her and just being more involved. im 34 weeks now and hes been counting the days until she gets here.. i think hes more excited than me lol if thats possible. just try talking to him and seeing if there is a reason?
    ChloeMom0709

Answer by ChloeMom0709 at 3:15 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• Men act differently than we do. My pregnancy was a surprise so he wasn't really excited and he didn't want our life to change. He told me months after I had the baby that he actually went through a depression for the first couple months of my pregnancy and he hid it from me, thank god! He got better towrd the end and he would cry every time I got an ultrasound out of happiness and he sent me pink roses the day we found out it was a girl! When I had our DD he was overwhelmed with joy! Give it time, men are just different!
    Anonymous

• My husband is so excited but also scared that something will go wrong. He doesn't like to read the books or website but he likes me to tell him what they say, mostly how big the baby probably is that week.
    lilkgfan

Answer by lilkgfan at 4:26 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• My husband isn't the type to really get excited about anything. That's just the way he is. He reads the books, goes to the classes and looks stuff up online, but he isn't all "ooh I can't wait! ooh, look at this cute outfit!" or anything like that. Especially since it's a girl, which he doesn't care one way or the other, but he hates pink. So all the pink is annoying him. :) He never talks to my belly but occasionally will rub it or put his hand on it when I tell him she's moving quite strongly.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 4:31 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• Oh, and my husband has only gone to two appointments with me. The first one and the second trimester ultrasound. I'm in and out of my appointments in like 15 or 20 minutes and I just don't feel he needs to take off work to come along with. I'd rather he save his time for when the baby is actually here.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 4:34 PM on Jun. 4, 2009