If your Dad was not your real Dad would you want to know?????

A friend of mine is going through this, she wants to tell her DD who's 25 that she thinks that her Dad is not her Dad.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:00 PM on Jun. 4, 2009 in General Parenting

• Hmm, I dont know. I would like to meet my dad..But at 25 why change the life shes always had? Id let it go
    lostshel

Answer by lostshel at 3:02 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• heck no, if she's not sure in the first place then that's an awful thing to do to the 25 year old and it could be for nothing.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 3:03 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• OMG I'm still waiting for my parents to tell me I was adopted. I know I wasn't, but it's one of my favorite daydreams. My family life was/is horrible.
    Anonymous

• no I dont think I would want to know. It seems awful to not tell but I cant imagine my mom telling me something like that. My dad is great and I look up to him I would be heart broken if I found that out. What is it going to change? Are the mom and dad still together. Is she close to her dad? It only seems fair that the dd know the truth, but how devastating would that be? I can't see anything good besides the mom just gets it off her chest.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 3:03 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• Definitely. My dad is the one person in this life who I despise. I would love to find out he isn't my real father.
    casperskitty

Answer by casperskitty at 3:06 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• I thought my step dad was my real dad until I was 8 when my mom told me that he wasnt my real daddy and my real dad was named Bob and lives in Florida. She took me to meet him when I was 8. He is not a very good man and I have only talked to him a few times in my life. But I am happy that I know. But if I was 25 and all I knew was who I thought was my dad, I am not sure I would want to know. my mom however, figured out at 30 years old that who she thought was her father was actually not. She always had a feeling but it was never confirmed. Did some digging and figure it out. And boy let me tell you because I remember it well she was NOT a happy camper that my grandmother never told her.
    Scoobersmom

Answer by Scoobersmom at 3:07 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• I think its important for her to know at least for medical purposes. Sometimes there is a family history that a person NEEDS to know.
    Mom2SKMB

Answer by Mom2SKMB at 3:07 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• Yes, and i think it is sad that some kids/fathers go there whole life w/o knowing the truth about their child not being theirs, as if mother cheats and NEVER says anything...
    tjandjenna

Answer by tjandjenna at 3:08 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• It is important to know who the biological father is because of genetic-related diseases and disorders. If there is tendency toward heart disease, for example, or stroke, or certain kinds of cancer, or degenerative disease.

Answer by Bmat at 3:10 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• I am personally having this problem right now. Im in the daughter's place on this one. I recently found out that my mom cheated on my dad around the time i was conceived and yes, i do want to know if the other guy is my dad. I hated my family life growing up and always wondered because I look nothing like my dad's side of the family or hell even my moms side. As soon as I have the money, i'm going to get DNA testing done on my biological dad.
    Anonymous