Kids running wild

On nice days I take my kids to the park that has a little musuem attached to it, its right down the street so we just walk, so we got 2-3 times a week. Every time we go theres a boy and girl, they appear to be about 5-6 years old, who run wild terrorizing all the other kids. They scream, run around, push my daughter down, pull other kids hair, throw sand etc. Well I noticed they are there with a older teen male, looks to be about 17 maybe that watches them, well I approached him this afternoon to complain about the little kids behavior. He said he is their brother and watches them in the afternoon, he replied to me " Yeah they are bad, but I can't do anything about it".
Okay so should I just stop bringing my kids there even though they love it? Because these other kids are just wild and run the place. What would you do?

lilymama03

Asked by lilymama03 at 3:04 PM on Jun. 4, 2009 in General Parenting

• there is allways a few kids like that running around when we go to the park. I try to get a group game going like tag with all the kids that are there. Usually if everyone is running around as a group, there seems to be less issues. Yes, I am usually allways the one that is "it". But it works well and the other parents sometimes join in too.. or at least appreciate their children being run around till they drop. Most kids are less distructive if they have some task to focus on, even if its just running away from someone. Perhaps these kids just need someone to stop and take the time to love on them.
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 9:06 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• get the phone number from the teen of the kids parents and call them.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 3:05 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• is there a complaint desk or something? i'd talk to someone who works there
    Anonymous

• I wouldn't stop going but next time I wouldn't be afraid to tell those kids what they are doing is wrong.

Anonymous

• I would continue to take my kids, but, I would also stop the kids and tell them "no, you are not allowed to do that here" whenever they do bad stuff. Act like I am a teacher and the park was my school. The older kid probably won't mind and they might learn to act right there.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 3:07 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• I would just parent them in the absence of their Mom and Dad. Next time one pushes your child or pulls hair, you gently stop them by taking their hand or following them and yelling "HEY!" till they stop and look at you. Then you just tell them that pushing or hair pulling HAS GOT TO STOP. Just intervene every damn time and hopefully they will get the idea. I wouldn't bother with calling the parents. Clearly they aren't doing the job at home and their older son wants help so I'd just step in and do it. Talking to them is fine, handling them is not.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 3:09 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• I would tell the little kids themselves to knock it off. Alot of times another adult needs to tell kids that are behaving the wrong way to make them stop. For example: We have a little neighbor girl that used to play with my children. One day I was standing at the window and heard her tell my 5 yr old that she was going to take the baseball bat that she had in her hand and bash his head in. I WAS MAD!! I walked outside and grabbed it from her and told her that she needed to go home and I was telling her parents. She started crying (she is 8 or 9 yrs old) and ran home. Her mother came over to ask me what happened so I told her and she got her butt busted! She is no longer allowed to play with my kids!
    Goingthruitall

Answer by Goingthruitall at 3:09 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• I would just tell them to stop. I wouldn't yell or lay a hand on them, even in a gentle move-them-away kind of gesture. But I would, if they pushed my kid down, say "you need to apologize and then you need to go away and leave my son/daughter alone." Or, if your kids are in the sandbox, and the other kids are throwing sand, take your kids and say "Let's go play on the slides since these kids don't want to play nice." loudly enough for them to hear and to know you are talking about them.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 3:23 PM on Jun. 4, 2009