how can do you get a 5 month old to sleep(take a nap) with out letting her cry it out? HELP ME

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:06 PM on Jun. 4, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I can sympathize. My four month old daughter will rarely just fall asleep - we usually have to "fight it out" while she cries and I walk and bounce for about 15 minutes first. The best thing that I found was a technique called The Happiest Baby on the Block - by Dr. Harvey Karp http://www.thehappiestbaby.com/. His five S's include: Swaddling your baby tightly (I thought my baby hated to be swaddled but I was wrong); putting your baby on her left Side or Stomach; Swinging or gently bouncing your baby; saying SHHHHSH in her ear; and finally letting your baby Suck on a soother. This seems to recreate some of the conditions in the womb and calms the baby. My baby will go from screaming to calm and usually asleep in less than five minutes. Sometimes if she has really been fussing, she will be asleep as soon as I start to bounce her. Check it out on the web and search Dr, Karp on youtube. It was a lifesaver for me.
    J-Lynne

Answer by J-Lynne at 3:40 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• try laying down with her for a little bit till she falls asleep. put the radio on or something so she doesnt hear you get up
    Anonymous

• play with her until she's tired or give her a warm bath. when she's her tired-est. give her a bottle. still works for my son and hes 9 months
    Queentdi

Answer by Queentdi at 3:26 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• the only problem with that queen is I breastfeed. She plays and plays...gets tired...I nurse her and she falls asleep but as soon as I move or she stops nursing she wakes up again. Seems like just enough to get her through till the next tired fit. ????
    Anonymous

• It will take some time, but try to change her schedule from : "Play, Eat, Sleep" to "Play, Sleep, Eat" -- that way she is eating when she wakes up, not when she is tired.
    christyg

Answer by christyg at 5:40 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• check out elizabeth pantley 'No Cry Sleep Solution' and 'No cry Nap Solution'
    mummylovebaby

Answer by mummylovebaby at 1:44 AM on Jun. 5, 2009