Why is my 7 month old refusing to eat my homemade baby food but will gladly chow down on Gerber?

YoungTwinMommy

Asked by YoungTwinMommy at 3:13 PM on Jun. 4, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Hi girl,
    What's in your baby food and what's in theirs? If you are using fresh fruit, sometimes it's not as sweet as the comercial stuff. Try fruits that look almost rotten, like spotty bananas, that's when they are the ripest and sweetest. Veggies I'm not too sure about.
    Hope some of the other ladies can help more,
    Kim Q
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 3:18 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• Has he/she been eating Gerber and you are just starting homemade? If so, I'd say he/she is just going with familiarity at this point, and you just need to keep trying. Otherwise, I'd say maybe it's a texture thing, or that there's too much/too little seasoning in the homemade stuff.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 3:18 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• Try and try again. He/she will like it later. My son is just eating foods that he refused when he was 4 months old. He's 9 months now. Dont give up. mix it with cereal or something or sneek a spoonful in between the jar food spoonfuls.
    Queentdi

Answer by Queentdi at 3:18 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• Try mixing the homemade w/ the jar food. Homemade is more flavorful than the jars so it can take some getting used to if they don't start w/ it from the begging.

sarahmae3

Answer by sarahmae3 at 3:45 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• Feed the baby what he likes to eat...why are you trying to push homemade baby food on him?
    Anonymous

• anon :08
    Maybe because it's a hell of a lot cheaper?
    Anonymous

• My LO loves the sweet potatoes I made, but practically gags on the green beans and the peas but will eat the ones from the store. I think it may be b/c my food processor doesn't get it as finely pureed as the industrial ones.
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 4:45 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• Probably the texture. Like someone else said... try mixing the 2 (jarred and homemade) to start with to make him more use to it. My son always liked his foods thick so it wasn't a problem with the homemade stuff... it was always thicker.
    Try some other foods too. My son liked sweet potatoes and apple sauce a lot... but didn't care for homemade greenbeans (too chunky with the skins)
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 4:55 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• Could be the texture. Jarred baby food is very thin and watery. I could never get my baby food that way even if I tried.
    MoonLover06

Answer by MoonLover06 at 5:22 PM on Jun. 4, 2009