Does any one have unpaid tolls and if so did you get in trouble for not paying them?

I got sent a bill for $312 for tolls that were ran last year and my husband and I always avoid tolls but my dad was using my car then and must have ran them with out even telling us. There is no way my dad will pay for thees, long story hes long gone but on the statement it says that they can send it to collections or issue a citation, I dont want my husband or me going to jail over this. He just got laid off yesterday so we have to buy food instead of pay for a toll tag bill right now. I have heard of people having really high bills that havnt been paid and they didnt go to jail or anything but Im the only who likes to stay away from anything that can get me in trouble. Do you think that if we wait a while to pay this bill that I could go to jail over it? Please be honest or am I over reacting?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:19 PM on Jun. 4, 2009 in Just for Fun

• we have one. But we haven't gotten anything other then one bill for it. Hell, maybe we did pay it. But it was because my husband didn't have any cash for the toll to begin with. Have you tried calling whoever is in charge of that stuff? The DOT, I don't know who is really. You could try, and explain that it was your father that was driving your car. And that you didn't know he didn't pay the tolls. They should let it go. I don't know if you have to have any proof though. But it's worth a shot to call and ask.
    Buffie95

Answer by Buffie95 at 3:23 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• what is a toll? the only toll things i have ever seen were a toll bridge and you COULDNT pass it if you didnt pay.
    SThompson21

Answer by SThompson21 at 3:31 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• i accidently went through an ezz pass once in new jersey ( i had never been and didn't know what ezzee pass was) at the next toll i asked if i could pay the previous one b/c i was freaking out it wasn't my car. they said no i couldn't i'd get a ticket in the mail. sure enough 2 months later my bf sent me an email (he was deployed) saying he'd gotten a ticket in the mail for running a toll in jersey. i don't remember if we paid it or not b/c it was years ago. but i just assumed he'd paid it since he had the paperwork and i told him what happened.
    call the number on the bill ask if you can make a payment schedule, if not and you don't pay it in time they will send it to collections. if you don't pay collections w/in a certain period of time they will go to court to get a garnishment or lein placed on your savings/checkings account until it is paid in full.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 3:39 PM on Jun. 4, 2009