• In the Spotlight:

my shepherd

my dog will go on a walk but after a while (only about 5min)he will want tocome home...my husband says he always does it when he walks him at night.it seems as though he has to go home and guard the house.he doesnt bite but he does bark,and he does seem rather territorial.i reitorate he doesnt bite but barks....why would he be doing this.he drags me back to the house and when we are going out its just like you see on dog whisperer he calm and walks nicely.i dont know what his need to get back to the house?any one know about shepherds?

raineydays377

Asked by raineydays377 at 3:20 PM on Jun. 4, 2009 in Pets

• Do you live anywhere close to a wooded area? It could be that he is smelling a wild animal nearby and, like you said, he wants to go home and guard the house.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 3:36 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• Do you let him go back to the house then? I have one dog that gets lazy and depending on our route, she will want to go another way that usually leads back to home. I don't put up with it. I tell her no and drag her along until she starts walking nicely again and then I'll tell her she's a good girl once she's walking nicely again. I NEVER give in to where she wants to go. I'm the boss and we go where I want to go. You might have to just put your foot down for a while and drag him along but eventually he should learn that you are the boss not him.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 4:02 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• yayour right,but she clearly wants to come home...she looks at the house.nose up and forward we go.she is 3 yrs old and we will go home and play soccer(she likes soccer)so clearly she is not tired.its very interesting.its a very interesting breed.very smart?or very intuitive about its soroundings?she is very aware of everyones comings and goings...
    raineydays377

Answer by raineydays377 at 4:28 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• I've never had this problem with mine but I know that they aren't good with change. Mine hates to go any where new. She is really shy. Maybe yours just doesn't like all the new surrounding he or she is encountering when going away from home. Maybe its just a case of being more nervous and wanting to go back to his/her comfortable environment at home....
    mrsbvader

Answer by mrsbvader at 9:02 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• If what you are saying is that that your dog only does this when he sees the house, this is normal canine behavior to increase speed when home is in sight. As your dog starts to pull, STOP WALKING, and wait until he is calm then start walking again. You may have to repeat this several times. Also change the route back to your home often to throw him off a bit. This should curb the anxiety of needing to get home fast. Good luck.

equusvetgal

Answer by equusvetgal at 7:39 AM on Jun. 5, 2009