For Christians

What do you think about prayer? Since God knows our needs and wants already does prayer really change things? Is it to just be closer and share our life with Him? Can our prayers really change our circumstance..like we convinced God to give us what we want? Any verses to back it up?

ria7

Asked by ria7 at 3:38 PM on Jun. 4, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• like we convinced God to give us what we want

it's not about what we want. it is about what God wants for us.
    Anonymous

• I don't think prayer is to change God's mind. I think it is to change and humble us. God wants us to have a servants manner. And prayer is a way of humbling ourselves to ask God for help. It also helps us to grow closer to Him. We read our Bible to hear his words which completes the conversation.
    Js_Mommy131

Answer by Js_Mommy131 at 3:45 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• Prayer, for me, is a way to feel closer to God. I pray all the time - and I talk to him like I do my best friend. No, I don't think it changes his mind on things, but I do think that it enhances your relationship with Him.

I love what Js Mommy131 said, too. Humbling ourselves - that's a good way to put it.
    jennijune_21

Answer by jennijune_21 at 3:50 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• I agree. I read something on facebook and i think alot of preachers preach about praying for stuff and I always feel like God arleady knows my hearts desire and prayer brings us closer..but asking for something day after day isn't going to change his plan for me. Maybe im not saying it right but I see prayer as a way to build a relationship so I try not to ask for stuff. I know alot of people pray for healing but does it change the result or just make you closer thru the process?
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 3:58 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• Prayer isn't just about asking for help, or giving your requests. I don't think it changes Gods will for you, when that is your prayer. More so prayer is an expression of love and adoration to the Father. In prayer you give praise and give thanks, you plead your heart for self and loved ones, you interecede for others, and you enter into a spiritual realm that changes you. God uses prayer to humble us, commune with us, bring us to our knees, give us a place to go and touch us deeply. I pray that everyone at some point in time will have an intese prayer experience where the spirit is felt surrounding them, then they will understand why we pray.
    puddleybug

Answer by puddleybug at 4:12 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• God knows our minds and our hearts. The point of prayer is to demonstrate the faith and humility to go to Him with our troubles and our needs and our THANKS!
    misses_nick

Answer by misses_nick at 4:44 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• We are instructed to pray. He even gave us prayers. So, I think we should pray. But, ask for guidance from God and don't give him directions.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 6:49 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• great answer puddlybug!
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 7:06 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• This is, in part, why I believe prayer should be coupled with meditation. For me, prayer is me doing the talking whereas meditation is listening. It's amazing what you can hear when you listen... I have heard God speak to me. I don't undermine the importance of prayer but for my spiritual journey, meditation is just as important.
    Anonymous

• its like your children, even though you know what they need, you still want them to talk to you. it'll bring your relationship with them even closer.
    proudmomma777

Answer by proudmomma777 at 9:32 PM on Jun. 4, 2009