how do i know if it's an outbreak or just normal?

I've asked a similar question before but I don't think I was specific enough and am looking for some other answers.

I was diagnosed with herpes years ago. I've never had an outbreak, have no clue what it feels like.

I'm 23 weeks pregnant and sometimes after sex, I feel raw up there, I swell pretty bad, feel slight itching and burning and soreness.

Could this be an outbreak or is it something else?

I've checked myself up there and never seen bumps or anything of the sort. It just hurts. I even used a mirror to check myself out and there's nothing strange looking.

Oh, and what can I do to keep from spreading this to my baby during delivery? I really want to refrain from having a c-section because I've never experienced an outbreak (that I know of) but of course I will do what is best for my little one.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:42 PM on Jun. 4, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Ok, I have it and I have had it for 15 years and 3 babies. Nowadays they will not give a c section just because you have it. I, for one would actualy like to do a c section and not have to have all the worry the last month or so. Now they will give you Valtrex 4 or 5 weeks before your due date to suppress any outbreaks that you may get closer to birth. If you do have an outbreak (they check you when you go into labor with a really bright light) but if you do have anyting suspicous they will give you a c/sec. Otherwise a normal vaginal delivery.

Make sure and let your Dr. know that you have it, as embarrassing as it is, it is best to get it out of the way and be honest.

It is also normal to have burning or soreness after sex, for a day or two... I always would abstain from sex for the last week or two (intercourse only) so I can really tell if anything may be going on down there. You cann ever b 2 careful.
    Anonymous

• OP - and the soreness and pain goes away within a day or two usually. but sometimes goes away within an hour. it can be painful to urinate after sex as well. why is that?
    Anonymous

• You need to speak to your dr so you don't pass it onto your child.
    Anonymous

• Does your someone wear a condom to protect himself? I dont have herpes but I know when my husband and I were trying not to get PG we tried to use condoms and I had a reactions to them.....burning...swelling... pain. We had to try something different. I really think that this is something you need to call your doc about and maybe a c section is the best. Good Luck.
    Tris_09

Answer by Tris_09 at 5:14 PM on Jun. 4, 2009