I have a 12 year old girl who has ADD-how much time is evough or too much on the computer. She would be on theire 24 hours a day if I let her. Also ,sometimes she has arguments with friewnds and says thingss I know she would NEVER say to a persons face or in public.

She has her own gmail account and I may have to close it. I am trying to f=get parental controls on the computer, so far she goes to UTube and my space, abd other teeney bobish sites.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:57 PM on Jun. 4, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• You probably need to cut her time and access down to like an hour or two a day

Answer by louise2 at 4:00 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• Start cutting her time a little a day,it may take a little longer,the first day,cut 15 minutes,do that for 5 days,then cut another 15 minutes,if,you do it gradually,she will never know or miss the time she is away from the computer,just like,when you go on a diet,you cut back gradually,so you can have better results.
    lady-t3984

Answer by lady-t3984 at 4:35 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• I wouldnt tell her she cant go on those things anymore if you already let her...but you should seriously cut her time let her go on for an hour a day or something
    hug4akiss

Answer by hug4akiss at 8:25 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• I would keep the computer password-protected and limit her time.
    If your issue is with the ADD/ADHD, I do have some thoughts. There are many therapists who work with people who have ADD/ADHD; they teach them not just coping skills, but how to use ADD/ADHD as an advantage in their lives. Thom Hartmann has written extensively on this topic; you should be able to find his books art your local library, there is lots of information at his website: http://www.thomhartmann.com/category/thom/adhd-education/.
    You should examine how foods affect behavior, either from the Feingold Organization (www.feingold.org) or another source.
    It would be great to get her on fish oil supplements, they need to be taken every day, and it takes 6-8 weeks to see improvement in attention span.

Answer by rkoloms at 1:52 PM on Jun. 5, 2009