WHAT is up with my cookies?

Chocolate chip that is, not the computer variety! Lol! I can bake 6 pans of the same dang cookie batter and some of them come out all flat and gross looking, and the next pan will come out like the beautiful perfect looking chocolate chip cookies they should be. WHAT is the DEAL????

MommaTurbo

Asked by MommaTurbo at 3:58 PM on Jun. 4, 2009 in Food & Drink

• The flatness is usually due to higher amount of shortening or butter. I wonder if between the times that you are baking them that the shortening or butter melts down a bit more. Or, perhaps the shortening or butter is being absorbed more by the flour. If the better cookies are those that come later, I am thinking that this must be what is happening- the flour is absorbing more of the fat.

Answer by Bmat at 5:03 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• Are you making sure the pan is cool before adding another batch to it? Other than that, I have no idea. I know with the Tollhouse recipe on the bag, I have to add at least another 1/2 cup of flour or the entire batch winds up being a flat mess.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 3:59 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• No, they actually come out better on the hot pans than the cool ones. I do live in a high elevation, so i add a little more flour. But this happens almost every time! It's so strange....
    MommaTurbo

Answer by MommaTurbo at 4:10 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• Are you sure your baking powder or baking soda is well distributed through your flour. You may be getting 'flat spots' in your dough because your leavening isn't thoroughly mix in. I sift mine together (flour, salt, b.powder or soda).
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 4:54 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• Bmat, i'll bet that's it!!! I did notice with the batch i did today it was the first two pans that were flat and icky. The rest were fine! From now on, i will let the batter sit for a bit before i bake them!
    MommaTurbo

Answer by MommaTurbo at 6:09 PM on Jun. 4, 2009