Not to cause drama I just want honest opinions. No judgments, no drama it's a question about kids being introduced to same sex relationships.

I appologise if anything comes off as not politically correct, not my intention at all.
I've heard there's been talk of introducing kids in school to acceptance of gays and lesbians. I'm fine with same sex relationships, to each their own. I don't want to have to teach my kids about it. I will teach my kids from example to accept people as they are, I don't agree that same sex relationships need to be taught to kids in schools for them to have acceptance of it. Let's face it, kids will be influenced by their parent's and peer's despite what the school's teach them. I agree that when school's introduce topics it brings awareness to kids and parent's. So maybe sending home an info packet will be enough, I don't think it's an issue that needs to be brought up in school unless there are isolated incidents that call for it.

AmandaH321

Asked by AmandaH321 at 4:05 PM on Jun. 4, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I don't know why it is assumed that just because you don't support the schools adding costly curriculum when they are already failing our children in the basics equals those same parents not teaching tolerance at home. I teach my kids that everyone is different and special in some way. I tell them not to judge. I don't tell my kids that God doesn't like people who *insert whatever activity*. I tell my kids that God decides what he likes and dislikes and that it's not our job to judge. That being said, I can't control everything they say when they aren't with me or around other adults. Kids do say mean things, but they don't always get that from their parents or at home.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 5:50 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• You didn't ask a question....
    Anonymous

• I agree. IMO its not the schools place to teach about these things. It should be done at home. For schools to force this on kids and parents is WAY over stepping their bounds.
    abbynzachsmommy

Answer by abbynzachsmommy at 4:10 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• My question is what is your opinion?
    AmandaH321

Answer by AmandaH321 at 4:11 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• ALTHOUGH YOU ARE SOMEWHAT CORRECT THE TRUTH OF THE MATTER IS THAT SOME KIDS GET THE NOTION AT HOME THAT THIS IS AN ABOMINATION, GOING TO HELL ETC, THIS IS WHERE THE BULLYING COMES FROM THEY THINK THEY ARE GETTING RID OF THE ENEMY. SO APPARENTLY PARENTS ARE NOT DOING A VERY GOOD JOB, AND THE PUBLIC SCHOOL SYSTEM WANTS TO BE SURE THEY ARE GETTING THE CORRECT EDUCATION, SO THAT OUR NEXT GENERATION WILL BE MORE TOLERANT.

Answer by older at 4:13 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• They should teach it because parents won't. And to maybe keep them from only hearing negative teaching on the subject. Same with sex ed. and racial tolerance.....
    Anonymous

• My personal opinion is that the schools are already failing our kids with the basic curriculum and I don't understand how they can justify adding new curriculum which costs more money to teach tolerance and acceptance. There are people who will argue that some of these kids are being raised by bigoted parents and that they must learn tolerance from someone. If these kids go home and tell mom and dad what they learned, the parents will just reinforce their beliefs on their kids.
    In other words, when we can't improve on the basics anymore, then we can work additional curriculum into their day.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 4:18 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• The unfortunate reality so much of the time is that what SHOULD be taught/introduced at home is being swept under the rug far too often! I'll tell you what...I don't like the schools having to teach my children anything but reading, writing, arithmetic, and science, so I do my job at home!!! And I do it thoroughly. My children are 6 and 5 and 7 months. My children know that they can ask me about anything and get a totally honest, age-appropriate explanation. We've lived all over the world and been exposed to a myriad of cultures. We spent 7 years in San Francisco. My kids have seen same-sex couples. It doesn't matter if you think it is right or wrong: it exists!!! And your children are going to learn one way or another.

Sex ed came around for my Kindergartener and I reviewed what would be taught and signed the form, knowing I'd done my job. She already knew what they were going to teach and I was open for questions.
    misses_nick

Answer by misses_nick at 4:32 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• When my children see it, I tell them that behavior goes against what God teaches for us to live as Christians. I don't run from it, but I do confront it with biblical truths when introduced.

ptomom678

Answer by ptomom678 at 4:42 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• Older I couldnt have said it better myself...I was tortured in school because of who I am. they called me every name in the book. There were days I wished I was dead because they made me feel that I was bad and didnt deserve to live. I was told "my mommy said your going to burn in Hell!" I was told "my daddy said people like you should be beaten till your dead" and they fully believed and treated me like thier parents said they should...I fully believe they should be teaching children about tolerance and acceptance of all people..no matter what thier differences are. and we wonder why suicide is high amongst teens and school aged children..ever listen to them...CHILDREN ARE CRUEL AND THEY ARE THAT WAY BECAUSE THEIR PARENTS TEACH THEM TO BE THAT WAY!!
    Anonymous