Do you think a Christian youth group should be playing non-Christian music?

I was observing a youth group for 5th graders last night at a church that has very high standards for their righteousness.They're a strong Bible believing church,so I don't know why they have allowed this kind of music in their service. For sincere Bible believing Christians please.

countingsparows

Asked by countingsparows at 4:08 PM on Jun. 4, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I think music should be used to praise God, not man...I would be upset if they were playing nonChristian music because it's putting money, power or material objects before God.
    BethTTC

Answer by BethTTC at 6:18 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• What music was playing? Give us a song name???
    feesharose

Answer by feesharose at 4:20 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• I think depending on the song it is ok, like one of my favorites, "It's a beautiful day" by U2 would be fine. But drug related, sex related those like that would not be appropriate, in my opinion.
    MaryJane849

Answer by MaryJane849 at 4:25 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• I was saved when I was 7 and grew up in a church that would not allow ANY main-stream music. I have done a lot of searching on this subject, and I truly do not see anything wrong with listening to music that does not belong to a Christian label... provided that it does not send a bad message, or have lyrics that go against God's Word (which IS hard to find). I think many believers take the passage that we must "be in the world, but not of the world" to mean that we can't partake in anything that doesn't have "Christian" plastered on it. I don't believe this to be true, though my husband I were both raised to believe so. We can not keep our children completely away from the world... we must teach them how to decide between right and wrong. Not everything that isn't "Christian" is wrong. If we keep our children away from all that is mainstream, we are just asking them to rebel. Nobody wants to be completely sheltered.
    beccare2000

Answer by beccare2000 at 4:25 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• MaryJane... hahaha! My church actually played that song the other day as we were leaving the sanctuary. U2 is one of my pastor's favs!!!
    beccare2000

Answer by beccare2000 at 4:26 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• I think as long as the music is "clean" it's alright. My church plays a lot of "popular" music but it's all good, clean words and almost always has some kind of spiritual undertones.
    jenettyshome

Answer by jenettyshome at 5:14 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• i dont see a problem with it... as long as the lyrics are clean etc. U will walk into our youth services and even our church services and u may hear "Christian" music or you may hear secular. It's really not about the music... what are the youth learning about their relationship with Jesus and the love God has for them. Again, if the music and/or lyrics are not vulgar or talking about sex etc... then I see no problem with it.
    bonn777

Answer by bonn777 at 5:39 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• They were playing 'Paramore' it was that ghostly,saddening song,the new one,forget the name, I thought it was inappropriate because even though the words weren't bad the music was,it made me feel hopeless and depressed,and that's not what Christianity is about.They are trying to be Christians and being influenced by the world,we aren't supposed to do that.There's lots of great Christian music out there,so why did they pick something so negative?I think because the devil has wormed his way into this youth group.It's a very settle way,most people would say it's no big deal but youth in a church are looking for Christian guidance from their leaders and if they say it's o.k. to dabble with secular music then it must be o.k. to do other things the world does like have premartial sex and do drugs after all that music group I'm sure does that.
    countingsparows

Answer by countingsparows at 7:02 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• U2 is considered a Christianish group for a lot of people! Like me. I love them.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 7:49 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• countingsparrows: gotta disagree with u.. i grew up not being "allowed" to listen to anything but Christian/Gospel music.. at home, youth groups, church etc.. only Christian music.. the rest if u listened to u were told u were being worldly.. sinning.. etc... most of the ppl who were my age and in "youth" walked away from God.. and church.. including myself... the only thing we were told was all the stuff we couldn't do....i'm not talking about drugs and premarital sex.. i'm talking about things like going to movies, music etc. .. all the religious rules. I finally renewed my relationship with Christ and came back and now I'm free... I follow the word of God, I am careful what I watch and listen to however.. I do listen to secular music along with Christian music. My focus is on the relationship and not the religious rules. The youth at my church... are on fire for God. They read their Word like you wouldn't believe.
    bonn777

Answer by bonn777 at 8:06 PM on Jun. 4, 2009