Starting my 1 year old on milk...reactions I'm seeing...advice PLEASE!

My son is turning 1 next week, I've started him on whole milk...last week. I want to gradually introduce it mixed with his formula so he's on all milk by the day he turns one. I've noticed after a few bottles of milk containing only 1-3 ounces per day (so one bottle a day) mixed with formula, he's having very loose messy poops. It's not just liquid, but it's def not his usual solid bowel movements, so I'd classify it as Diarrhea. He's having these messy poops 1-2 a day, so I'm thinking it's the milk. Is this normal?? Is he just getting used to it, or is this lactose intolerance, or a milk allergy?? I will be going to the Doc's soon..just wanted to ask on here to ease my mind..anyone else have this transition when they're little one was just getting used to the milk..or is this a bad sign?

aidansmyheart

Asked by aidansmyheart at 4:29 PM on Jun. 4, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It's normal they arent use to the milk in there body yet it will ease up
    mommy2b17MV

Answer by mommy2b17MV at 4:33 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• Ok, did you notice the same reaction with your kids?
    aidansmyheart

Answer by aidansmyheart at 4:36 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• I do not think yoou are supposed to mix the formula in milk. It is too much lactose and protien maybe? i would ask his pediatrician and in the meantime, mix formula with water, and give small amounts of milk(maybe 2 ounces) at a time 1 time a day. then build from there. mixing it leaves too many "maybes".
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 4:36 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• Ya, I think I'll try that tomorrow. I checked the internet, and it did say it's ok to mix it with breast milk or formula. So that's why i've been doing it. He has his shot's coming up for 1 year, so I'll find out from his Doc then...keep the advice and experiences coming!!
    aidansmyheart

Answer by aidansmyheart at 4:45 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• Yeah talk to doc, because it may also be that its too much too fast. I know my newborn had the opposite prob with constipation and when you change formulas it can sometimes cause diarehha. I would def just limit the amount and stop mixing until you can pinpoint what times of day and stuff. Write it down for a few days and show doc maybe? good luck mom. :o)
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 4:50 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• Thanks! I've noticed it's 2 x a day when he would usually go. It's not more then usual..the texture is all that's diff, and he's a bit more gassy..but nothing crazy. I guess the best source is his Doc!
    take care.
    aidansmyheart

Answer by aidansmyheart at 4:59 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• muh bby went through the same thing. shes now 14 months old n is still on whole milk n doing great. n YES, ur supposed to mix formula with milk. it helps them adjust easier.
    momma323

Answer by momma323 at 5:13 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• thanks!!
    aidansmyheart

Answer by aidansmyheart at 5:44 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• Don't mix it with formula. That should only be mixed with water.

Our pedi had us start after 12mo. We started with 1/4th a cup a day for a week, then 1/2, then 3/4, ect.. until her body got used to it. We never had a change in poops.
    KandiceN

Answer by KandiceN at 5:55 PM on Jun. 4, 2009