Does anyone have a child who has been diagnosed with asbergers syndrome?

My daughter has been on med's of various kinds since kindergarten for adhd, odd, ocd and bipolar, she is 12 now. None of the medications seem to be effective, I am wondering if she was diagnosed incorrectly for all of these years........ They have scheduled her for an evaluation for asbergers syndrome, can anyone tell me specifically what I should be looking for? Thank you.

magpiesfriend

Asked by magpiesfriend at 4:30 PM on Jun. 4, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• I have a twelve year old son who was diagnosed 4 years ago. He is really smart in all honor classes but he is very corky. He has weird habits he loves to sit on the floor and spin a pin and hoop and holler it gets on my nervous horribly. He doesn't have many friends he is a real loaner they say that is normal. If you do your research it all depends on the severity of the asbergers the loaner, odd behaviors not normally seen out of children that age. Adults love my son he talks more mature then he is he carries on great conversations with adults then he comes home and plays with a pencil for hours. Depression goes along with asbergers that may be where you got a bipolar diagnosis my step son is bipolar and it and asbergers is nothing alike. The hardest thing for me to accept is there is no therapy or anything to help my son they first thought therapy would help his fine motor skills but after a year it has not helped at all.
    angelgirlkuehne

Answer by angelgirlkuehne at 7:30 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• not interacting with others, communication not clear a re couple
    incarnita

Answer by incarnita at 7:22 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• aspergers syndrome is a high functioning form of aspergers. But before jumping to that conclusion, have her tested for food sensitivities. Ask for a food panel RAST test for IgG & IgE. I'm betting she is sensitive to wheat & dairy.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 5:27 PM on Jun. 6, 2009

• my daughter has aspergers......she stims,has poor muscle tone,trouble writing, can seem antisocial, and my daughter does not have any food sensitivities....they dont always have problems with wheat and dairy.....they just seem quirky to others....hope that helps...
    just have child evaluated by a good childrens neurologist who has experince with autistic children.
    michaux

Answer by michaux at 10:58 PM on Jun. 7, 2009

• Google:
    dr. michael powers autism ct

I went to one of his lectures and Dr. Powers is a Yale professor and expert on autism and aspergers syndrome -- he's a psychiatirst. You will find once you google him many other websites are there for Special Needs and the other psychiatric conditions your daughter is currently being treated for. Your daughter needs an expert - you can even email your questions to the experts and get advice online -- from nationally and internationally acclaimed mainstream medical experts.
    terry6202

Answer by terry6202 at 9:36 AM on Jun. 11, 2009