• In the Spotlight:

What are your views on

the Confederate Flag?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:34 PM on Jun. 4, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Don't like them, don't acknowledge them. To me, it's like, Get over it, You lost. I don't care what it stands for. Although I live in the south now.. I am a Northerner and ALWAYS will be.

Also, I think they are kind of rednecky.
    Anonymous

• I'm not a fan, but it doesn't bother me if someone is embracing their southern hertiage. I guess I don't like the history behind it. That's all.
    LadyChamp

Answer by LadyChamp at 4:39 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• I view it as a symbol of fighting for our rights in this country. The civil war was MORE about taxation then slavery. Proof: The emancipation proclamationONLY freed the slaves in the states that seceded from the union the other slaves (and you are an idiot if you think other states didn't have slaves) were STILL slaves. There were higher taxes being charged to goods brought in to the south and exported! There is nothing wrong with the flag except certain hate groups have chosen to use it as their symbol. That doesn't MAKE it theirs and if you believe that you diminish the lives of those MANY MANY MANY men who fought an died for their beliefs!!

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 4:40 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• I don't care. Like the woman obove said, the history behind it is not great, but it is a symbol of the South. If those people were saying racist things to people and doing acts of hatred, then there would be a problem.
    Miss-Baby-Baker

Answer by Miss-Baby-Baker at 4:42 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• That some people can not stop thinking about the past. Get over it WE WON.

Answer by louise2 at 4:43 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• Totally stole this but its SO true!!

Hate groups also fly the American flag, quote Biblical passages, and burn crosses to promote their ideas. Should the Bible, American flag, and Crucifix be eradicated because of the fact that hate groups misuse them?

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 4:44 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• Its part of my heritage. Only ignorant, uneducated people see it only as a symbol of hate. Hate has nothing to do with it, the civil war had nothing to do with racial issues. For me it symbolizes a time where people were willing to fight and die for their rights and stand up for something.
    abbynzachsmommy

Answer by abbynzachsmommy at 4:45 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• Doesn't bother me. Just don't try to put one up in MY yard.
    BaisMom

Answer by BaisMom at 4:45 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• I don't know how I view it. But DH has a confederate flag hat. I wish he wouldn't wear it but I can't stop him.
    Anonymous

• Wow ...really...get over it , we won. Wow...do you tell African Americans that....Get over it we owned you so what? Do you tell Native Americans that...Get over your heritage, we won? Do you tell Mexican Americans that? Get over it We won? What in incredibly offensive and ugly thing to say and believe!!

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 4:47 PM on Jun. 4, 2009