Pyloric Stenosis

My son had pyloric stenosis when he was born. I am expecting our second son in October. What are the odds that baby #2 will have pyloric stenosis? Has anyone had 2 sons with PS?

AsaGarrett

Asked by AsaGarrett at 5:00 PM on Jun. 4, 2009 in Kids' Health

• My oldest's dad had this as a baby and they screened my son when he was born for it(he didnt have it though) because they said it runs in fanilies and if you already have someone in your family with it the odds of another child having it are about 30%. This is what his pediatrician told me almost 8 years ago, so things may be changed by now but thats what I was told. Gooc luck, I hope you dont have to go through that again!
    AK_aries

Answer by AK_aries at 5:04 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• I was reading where it ran in the family. But as far as I know, no one in our families has had this. Asa is the first to have it ( as far as we know). Thanks for your reply! : )

Anyone else?
    AsaGarrett

Answer by AsaGarrett at 5:15 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• I think there is a slight risk.. it runs in familys. It's also more typical in first born sons. I don't think they can do anything to prevent it... but they can watch closer with your next baby. I had them watch my son because I had it when I was a baby and needed surgery so I was really worried he would have it as well. Thankfully he didn't, but I'm sure I'll worry the same with each child.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 5:59 PM on Jun. 4, 2009