• In the Spotlight:

Im not christian so Im curious...

I was forced to goto ccd as a kid and they taught me that god says to treat others as they wish to be treated themselves..is this true?? Im curious because alot of people here have said that they are teaching thier children to be intolerant of certian people and lifestyles because the bible said so. But if you do that arent you then breaking a rule in the bible??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:07 PM on Jun. 4, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• It's the whole golden rule and cherrypicking the Bible all rolled into one!

People twist the Bible to suit them however they please. It's kind of annoying. I say all or nothing, dammit!
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 5:12 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• Yeah, it does kinda say both. The bible is so easy to twist into what we want it to say, that you could make it say almost anything if you really wanted to.
    -Ashley
    spiritguide_23

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 5:18 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• Yep...that is why I am against all that nonsense. And why a go off on all those nut jobs.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 5:22 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• Which is why I choose to live by the words of Jesus and HE spoke of the "Golden Rule" and insisted that we treat each other with kindness and love. There is no in-between. You can't love everyone and hate them at the same time. Those two emotions cannot coexist.
    jenettyshome

Answer by jenettyshome at 5:36 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• Both statements are combined in "love the sinner, hate the sin". Parents should teach their children to be intolerant of actions not necessarily people. Just because someone wants to be able to do something doesn't mean that if someone tells them what they're doing is wrong or against God's will that means they're going against either teaching you mentioned. We can teach our children certain actions are wrong without teaching them to hate the person that does that action. If someone really believes an action is going to lead to eternal damnation of another person and is genuinely concerned for that other person's soul - how could they out of fear of offending not speak up? And isn't calling those who do that names or insulting them being just as "intolerant" as that person could be accused of being?
    Anonymous

• I have never called anyone names because they were different than myself or believed in different things as myself. I have always believed everyone should be treated equally by law. I however have always been called names, treated as though I should be ashamed of myself and been told I will never be treated equally because I am not like everyone else, because I dont believe in the same things as they do, because I different. I have been told that because I am different that I will never have the same rights, and until I give up who I am and be fake I will never have those rights because this book says so. why is that right??
    Anonymous

• I am not religious but teach my kids the Golden Rule, some do and some don't, being religious doesn't automatically make you a good person, in the end it's a choice.
    writeon

Answer by writeon at 7:36 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• You use the word intolerant wrong. I teach my children that practicing homosexuality is wrong. I teach them that everyone sins. I teach them that no one is better than anyone else. I teach them that their sin of lying about candy is as great, in God's eyes, as murdering someone. I teach them to be humble before the Lord because their own sin is so great. I do not teach them to say that some sin is okay under certain circumstances. If you call that intolerant, so be it.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 8:03 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• The Bible says the greatest commandments are to love God and to love our neighbors - everything else hangs on those two. If its not of love, its not right, IMO.
    And when I say love, I mean selfless, complete, pure, absolute, unconditional love - the kind God has for us and the kind He wishes for us to have for each other.
    There is no room for intolerance, judgment, condescension, etc when it comes to love.
    No room at all.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 8:39 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• OP- many of these responses I would disregard as a Christian answer as they are not answered by Christians. It amazes me that some people think they can speak for a religion they are actively participating --walking away muttering about people who think they know it all---I guess it is the pagan way or something.
    Anonymous