Is is hard for anybody else to admilt that their child isn't perfect.....

My DD is 3.5 and she was the best baby, never had the terrible two's and is now wanting to act out more than she ever has and it still isn't bad, i am just not use to it. But i have a hard time with her acting up, whining and being rude because it is like people look at her like "I can't believe that she is acting that way" because she has always been so good. It bothers me the most around my husband's family because for some reason i want them to think she is still this very obedient child! And i don't want to go eat with friends anymore because I am scared of what she might do. How can I get over this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:21 PM on Jun. 4, 2009 in General Parenting

• You are a typical mom. I do that with my 13y/o. I think he is terrible at home. But, when i see other kids...I realize, he is not as bad as i am imagining.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 5:28 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• Its normal for childeren to act up in front of others for some odd reason. I have that problem with my babys I just calm down and have a short converstation with them, but I also try to keep look out on how others treat them. Its just that we know our own child and how to talk to them and others don't.
    tweety13007

Answer by tweety13007 at 6:00 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• No kid is perfect or ever will be. They all have meltdowns, they whine and generally act up. Don't be afraid to take your daughter out just be ready to discipline her if she acts up. It's the only way she will ever learn.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 6:02 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• My son is perfect. Perfectly rotten. He is a good kids 98 percent of the time. The 2 percent when he is bad he is really bad.lol He is a kid and will act up. My sil and siblings all rolled their eyes when he had a meltdown last time we went to visit family. He was throwing a tantrum not something he does. The eye rolls and well my kid never does that was annoying. We had driven 8 hours and he was tired. I told my sil's to quit rolling their eyes and they better hope their perfect darlings don't act up when I am there. The next night at dinner both of their daughters were just awful. I just smiled at them. They were rotten the rest of the week again I simply smiled. No child is perfect and when you think yours is they will prove you wrong usually at the worst time.lol

Anonymous

• All moms have kids..lol..that sounded crazy..but i mean we all understand..we may look at other moms and be like HA mine doesnt do that...but you never know..and honestly behind closed doors kids are soo different. I was always respectful to strangers or out in public..but had the worst time talking back at home..i knew better than to do it infront of people though!! i wouldnt be ashamed of my child, just be proud and tell everyone HERE SHE IS like it or leave it...
    sweetstkissez22

Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 7:38 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• Normally if someone tells me "hey your kid did this" I will test it with him. I never deny it. Saw too many parents do that when I was growing up with the "well my kid would never do anything like that".
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 7:44 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• Ahhh...I think you are normal. No one wants others to think ill of their child or their parenting skills. Unfortunately children have this nasty little way of finding the worst times to have a melt down. I have a child similar to yours. A wonderful kid and for the most part is unbelievably well behaved. However there are moments, thankfully infrequent, where he makes poor choices. At 2.5 that will happen. I also can't stand the whine in the voice. My catch phrase is "use your big boy voice...I can't hear you when you whine." When he uses his big boy voice I listen and when he whines I don't give in to what he wants. It is a matter of repetition and doing it millions of times. I got to the point that I don't care what my in-laws think or what friends think. My only job is to raise this little boy and I am accountable to him, no one else. Let people judge but you stand proud of the job you are doing every day.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 10:00 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• No one wants their kid to be a butt in front of anyone else. But alas they are human after all and cannot be expected to be perfectly well behaved at all times. Let's face it people think if the kid is acting out we have poor parenting skills. Nothing could be further from the truth. Kids will be kids! Don't worry about what others think just do the best you can.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 11:02 AM on Jun. 5, 2009

• Eh i'm the oppposit, I expect the worst out of him and he's generally good.
    lstrickland

Answer by lstrickland at 11:47 PM on Jun. 6, 2009